Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » manual rack&pinion

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: manual rack&pinion
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Greetings, Im on the verge of doing a manual rack conversion. Can anyone give me some first hand info on what im looking at to convert to a manual rack? I know the flaming river kit is pretty straight foward, but im stuck on which one to get the quick ratio or standard [Confused] . Currently i have a replacment quick ratio pwr rack that happens to be overly assisted/sensetive..it gives a somewhat uneasy feeling at speeds sometimes. I replaced the pulley with a bigger one in an attempt to lesson the assist but found out thats not how they work. So anyways, anyone with manual racks on foxs please comment and sorry for the big paragraph.

[ May 01, 2004, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want to lesson the assit on the power rack run a smaller diameter pressure hose on the bottom side of the power steering pump to the cooler. This will restrict flow and make it less touchy. As far as manual's go I can't say but I would think that the quick ratio might be nice since the wheel will be so hard to turn without any assit

[ May 01, 2004, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
If you want to lessen the assit on the power rack run a smaller diameter pressure hose on the bottom side of the power steering pump to the cooler. This will restrict flow and make it less touchy. As far as manual's got can't say but I would think that the quick ratio might be nice since the wheel will be so hard to turn without any assit

Your confusing me a bit..the high preasure line is the top one on the pump. The lines on the rack themselves cant really be changed can they [Confused] without some super custom id tubing bender action?
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No, theres a rubber hose which is clamped to the bottom of the power steering pump. This hose runs down past the sway bar to the little factory cooler thats mounted in front of the AC core or radiator depending on car. I changed this hose for a guy who had the same problem as you and it made a big difference

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

What I ment by high pressure was basically which type of hose you should buy.

--------------------

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ok i got you. i replaced my cooler with..lets just say, a slightly bigger one [Smile] but i cant really see how that would effect the internal workings of the rack.
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Do you think my big cooler might be playing a role in this ? Seems to me once the line is reduced to what it is going into the rack it shouldent affect the presure out. im still confused..not like this is anything new for me [Big Grin]
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Well, the car I did this on had the factory joke of a cooler. Honestly, I heard about doing this from another mechanic I worked with at Apex. I did a car this way and it appeared to make a good bit of difference. From a logical stand point I never asked the guy what exactly was the reasoning behind it. I just assumed it restricted flow in some way to where the rack wasn't so touchy since the car felt less touchy afterwards. If I run into him again I will get a detailed answer on it. Sorry I can't help ya any further on this. It's got to be along the lines of affecting the pressure of the rack.

[ May 02, 2004, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------

90GT
¯
Member # 3

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT  Ford pictures for 90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can get a manual rack for an early 80's mustang. Do a search on the corral and you should be able to get more details.
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

quote:
Originally posted by 90GT:
You can get a manual rack for an early 80's mustang. Do a search on the corral and you should be able to get more details.

Hey WOW! Scott your still alive [Big Grin] i guess ill go search then [Big Grin]
sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got my manual rack from autozone for like a 79 mustang 100.00 and just used the old tie rod ends and used the power rack for a core.works great easy to turn

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com