Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Question about GT40 heads

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about GT40 heads
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are these aluminum???

-

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks like it

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a magnet and see if it sticks to it or not or just clean up an area and you'll know

[ April 29, 2004, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
get a magnet and see if it sticks to it or not

Good call with the common sense [patriot]

Just went out and the damn magnet STICKS [Frown]

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Can you tell what kind of GT40 heads they are by the 67 stamped there?

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wish I could recall but my memory is fuzzy on all the part #'s

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just look for the 3 bars in the front of the head, if those aren't there maybe it's a 289 or 351 head ?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
just look for the 3 bars in the front of the head, if those aren't there maybe it's a 289 or 351 head ?

What do you mean shade? They have GT stamped under the front driver side header, but I was just wondering if they are the standard 93 cobra heads or a variation. Do yours have that number stamped on the corner as shown in the pic?

Thanks

--------------------

onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:

What do you mean shade? They have GT stamped under the front driver side header, but I was just wondering if they are the standard 93 cobra heads or a variation. Do yours have that number stamped on the corner as shown in the pic?

Thanks

my old 93 cobra heads had GT stamped on the heads...they probably are 93 cobra gt40 iron heads...thats what they told me when i got the heads...i could be wrong...

[ April 30, 2004, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: onesicklx ]

Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
another way i could tell if they are gt40 heads is by checking the part number on the spark plugs...its easier than lookin for the 3 bars on the heads (i think)...
Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Guys, I "KNOW" these are GT40 heads. Aren't there different kinds? Some flow higher numbers and what not.

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

They are either the old style GT-40's or the GT-40P heads. The GT-40P heads run a different style header to clear the plug angle if that helps

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
They are either the old style GT-40's or the GT-40P heads. The GT-40P heads run a different style header to clear the plug angle if that helps

Thanks, I thought there were more variations. These are not the P heads [patriot]

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Yeah I am pretty sure it is just those two. I think the old style GT-40's that came on the 93 cobra are the same as what came on some of the early lightnings as well. Someone correct me if I am wrong here but I think thats the case.

--------------------

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Yeah I am pretty sure it is just those two. I think the old style GT-40's that came on the 93 cobra are the same as what came on some of the early lightnings as well. Someone correct me if I am wrong here but I think thats the case.

correct, but the lightning heads had slightly larger comcustion chambers, i used to have a set

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont forget aluminum gt40y and gt40x

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com