Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Air Pipe to H Pipe

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Air Pipe to H Pipe
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just installed a no cat H pipe into my car. I would rather not spot weld the Air Pipe to the H Pipe. I have heard of people using a little bit of hose and two clamps to secure the Air Pipe to H Pipe with good results (i.e. no leaks). I also assume it would be pretty easy to remove when I put my stock catted H when I go smog the car.

My question...does anybody have an idea which type of hose would work best? Diameter?

Thanks for the help.

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
High temp silicon hose. Can't recall what diameter though. Maybe 5/8 or 3/4? Just measure the air tube. This hose isn't so easy to find. Anything else tends to burn through in time.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
O.K. Cool. Yeah, I was just at the computer and didn't feel like jumping underneath the car at the moment. Guess I was just feeling lazy. I'll go measure and install. Thanks. [patriot]

BTW, if hose is hard to find, is it unlikely that Autozone, Kragen's, or any other chain might have it?

[ April 29, 2004, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: graylx ]

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1995 Impala SS

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got some at napa, it was so short they gave it to me for free.

It is roughly the same diameter as the flexible hose for the air conditioning if you are feeling too lazy to get underneath the car.

My hosing is red in color and says high temp all over it FWIW. I needed about 4"s of it, and two small hose clamps.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Cool deal. Thanks for the help guys! [patriot] [Big Grin]

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1995 Impala SS

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya, I wouldn't think any of those places would have it. I always kept a few lengths of it around for that reason as all the bassani X-pipe kits come with a length. I'd look in the specialty type stores in the yellow pages. I imagine fresno being the trucking capital of the world a truck supply place might have them since a lot of the turbo's on those run high temp hose

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Oh, o.k. That sounds pretty logical. Looks like Mark will have to throw the .40 Beretta Cougar into the trunk and visit the southside. [Big Grin]

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1995 Impala SS

vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
vic hubbard's!!!!!!!!!!! I used heater hose for the past 4 years and haven't had a problem yet, but if you want the silicon stuff, go to vic hubbard's. Or just by some 5/8" heater hose.

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by vpr_klr:
vic hubbard's!!!!!!!!!!! I used heater hose for the past 4 years and haven't had a problem yet, but if you want the silicon stuff, go to vic hubbard's. Or just by some 5/8" heater hose.

one problem, mark lives in fresno, vic ubbard would be a road trip [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

85GT
¯
Member # 1695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85GT  Ford pictures for 85GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey, whats the reason for that air tube to the exaust? i just yanked mine out on my mustang (85 GT, 4 bbl) and i just patched up the hole in the cat and plugged the rubber line in engine bay. that won't effect anything right? cause i accidentally broke that metal air tube anyways. LOL. oh and i dont' care about smog either...
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Heater hose has always worked for me.
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3/4"

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com