Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Steering shake

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Steering shake
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did a search on this and didn't come up with anything.

I just bought a 95 GT and I get this weird shaking in the steering wheel sometimes when I turn. It seems to just do it when the car is cold. Once the car warms up and I've been driving a while it seems to go away. I tried siphoning out and changing the power steering fluid, (By the way, I did this about 5 times and the fluid still keeps turning brown right after I put it in), but it didn't help.

Anyone have an idea what this is? Also, what's up with the fluid turning brown every time I put it in there?

Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are all you lug nuts on and properly torqued?
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya know, I never even checked. And I lost my torque wrench when the fuckin bastards stole my car in January. I'll have to get one and check. Right now I have those stock 6-spoke rims that have the cover over the lugs. I'll go take a look.

Why would that cause an intermittent shake?

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you completely drain all the old fluid out?
try and disconnect the powersteering cooler, and drain it from there.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Thanks for the info 94. Sorry for my ignorance, but where is the power steering cooler?
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its just under the LH (drivers side) front bumper, if you look, it will be black with fins. It bolts up infront of the a/c condenser. the hosing is hard as hell to get off, but just keep at it.

beware, once you completely drain the fluid, you will end up filling it a few times, I had to start/stop about 3 times inorder to fill it back up. The pump makes a nasty squeeling noise if you let it run dry for too long.
[patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

even better, a pic! [Razz] (of my baby)
 -

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the tie rods, control arm bushings and ball joints...

I'm thinking it may have something to do with a bad steering rack though... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Went out and bought a torque wrench and all the front lugs are ok. I guess I'll have those other things you mentioned checked. Thanks for the info.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com