Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » please help w/ cam install, car won't start !!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: please help w/ cam install, car won't start !!
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey guys,

i put a post on the corral for this also, but i just put a 2031 cam in my 95gt, but it won't start when i crank it over. it cranks really healthy, but just won't catch.

it's got fuel pressure and spark for sure, i checked both. the only other thing i changed was to put in 24lb injectors, which my C&L maf is already calibrated for.

any ideas? other than the cam/timing set/injectors, everything else is exactly as it was.

thanks alot,
phil

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What was your method of adjusting the roller rockers? If they are set wrong the valves might not be opening like they should. You can check this with a simple compression check on each cylinder. Also make sure the distributor is dropped in right as this is the case very often. Did you bring the motor to TDC for number one and than drop the distributor in place on #1?

[ April 29, 2004, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your distributor could be 180* off, it happens to me all the time.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i put my finger over the plug hole on the #1 until i couldn't feel anymore air coming out, then pointed the distributor at the #1 cylinder wire. i'll try messing around with the distributor some more.

maybe this seems dumb, but you think i could crank over the motor to check for compression in each cylinder w/ a compression gauge?

thanks,
phil

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get the timing pointer to point to 0* on the balancer. then on the distributor cap point the rotor to the #1 wire.
if that doesnt work, then turn the engine over 1 full turn get the timing mark to 0* again. get the rotor to the #1 wire and that should do it. cause it takes 2 crankshaft rotations to fire all 8 cylinders

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com