Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » installing new cam in old motor question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: installing new cam in old motor question
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I install a new cam in an otherwise fine running 80K 302,do I still need to install the old lifters back in their original places and does the same go for the pushrods too? [patriot]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you did install a new cam in an 80K motor, I would replace the lifters and pushrods anyway, that's me though...I'd also upgrade the valve springs if I was also using the stock heads...

You have to remember that the lifters and stock valve springs are week and my not be able to subdue to the extra lift of an aftermarket cam...

To answer your question more specifically, I don't think the order matters when you reinstall you old lifters or pushrods with a new cam... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do the timing chain too [Razz]

9-position key sets are available at Summit and elsewhere ~$65

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Saint
¯
Member # 2746

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint  Ford pictures for Saint    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would all so just pull off the head and get them deck and get new head gaskets sence the motor is mostly apart.
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well man since we're taking apart already lets not stop there.

I think you should rebuild your motor. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey, I only stop when the money runs out... [Big Grin]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it doesn't matter where you put the lifters as long as its a roller motor. if it was flat tappet, then it matters. replacing the valve springs is always a good idea, but its not necessary. i would do the timing chain for sure though. if its a stock motor then just get a stock replacement chain from kragen or something. [patriot]
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what cam are you slapping in it?
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stoauto:
what cam are you slapping in it?

I am replacing a e303 with a b303 and new 1.7rr's and it already has gt40 irons on there. I also have an edelbrock timing chain that allows for adv. and ret. up to like 4deg. How should I set it? Straight up, or...

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
65 custom
¯
Member # 3173

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65 custom  Ford pictures for 65 custom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have always head if you take them out you should put them back in the same way because the rockers and push rods and lifters wear a certian way to each one. but it should not matter too much
Posts: 128 | From: mountian view | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Saint
¯
Member # 2746

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint  Ford pictures for Saint    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i put me e cam in a few months ago i replaced the heads gaskets and got the heads surfaced so i wouldnt have any head gaskets problems becuase the motor had 100k miles. it took like an hour to do and would save you alot of work in the long run. puting a cam in will put more stress on an old motor and the head gaskets will be one of the first things to go

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com