Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Is it my alternator or battery? Car just died on the road...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it my alternator or battery? Car just died on the road...
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a one month old Powermaster 100 AMP alternator and 2 month old Optima Cell Red Battery...

Yesturday when i started up the car i noticed the voltmeter was two bars above red on idle.. So i revved my engine and nothing [Confused] I took it for a spin and still nothing, the volts would no go up......

I dropped my alternator off to parts store to have it checked out and so to test it out i installed my stock alternator... Same thing the guage would sit two bars above red... I took it for a spin 5-6 blocks away and the whole car died just coming to a stop...........

After i jump start it the whole car dies after 30 seconds of driving...

What can cause this? And whats the issue?

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i could be incorrect, but your battery may have been so drained, that it could not recharge enough to proper spec.

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
i could be incorrect, but your battery may have been so drained, that it could not recharge enough to proper spec.

You mean the cells on the optima?

--------------------

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
basically. I've noticed when I was working as a tech that some batteries would end up getting SO low froma poor charging system...they were just no good anymore.

Not saying this is a for sure thing for your car...but a definate possiblity.

--------------------

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your car doesn't need the battery when it is running, it only needs it for start up basically. If your stock alternator was charging just as little as your aftermarket one, you may have some wiring issues you need to address.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:
Your car doesn't need the battery when it is running, it only needs it for start up basically. If your stock alternator was charging just as little as your aftermarket one, you may have some wiring issues you need to address.

that's one of the last things that crosses peoples minds, gunk on electrical contactors... Ive seen alot of systems have problems at work just from the connectors being a little dirty. [Razz]
good luck bro! [patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

quote:

I agree...I also didnt think that route.

Wouldn't it be true though that if the vehicle's alternator should die, that the car would then run off the batttery...eventually running it until the car died?

--------------------

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
quote:

I agree...I also didnt think that route.

Wouldn't it be true though that if the vehicle's alternator should die, that the car would then run off the batttery...eventually running it until the car died?

\

Yeah i think thats what happened with mine... I just got a free replacement for the optima and getting a new 140amp powermaster tomorrow [worship] Then im just gonna drop the car off to some electrical shop to see wtf is going on

--------------------

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com