Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Hooked up blower, problems started.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Hooked up blower, problems started.
DRIVINFST
¯
Member # 2430

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRIVINFST  Ford pictures for DRIVINFST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car ran and idled great all motor, but as soon as I hooked up my blower piping and ran the intake for the blower, the car has a lean idle with no exhaust switching detected. I am thinking it has something to do with the mass air meter and or location of it. Or could it be the bypass valve? Any suggestions?
Posts: 555 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm willing to bet it's the MAF too...What kind is it and how do you have it set up now?...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
definately sounds maf related. what EXACTLY are you using in your combonation? this will give us a better idea of what you're working with.

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
65 custom
¯
Member # 3173

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65 custom  Ford pictures for 65 custom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what about timing did you advance your timing or bigger injecturs that might be it. dont know a whole lot with this efi stuff
Posts: 128 | From: mountian view | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
65 custom
¯
Member # 3173

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65 custom  Ford pictures for 65 custom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what about timing did you advance your timing or bigger injecturs that might be it. dont know a whole lot with this efi stuff
Posts: 128 | From: mountian view | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the mass air meter is not inside the fenderwell try it there some cars read better with the mass air flow away from the blower. the bypass valve dosent do anything really untill it sees vacuum. whats your fuel pressure? usually after installing a supercharger most cars run rich becuase everyone dumps too much fuel also check your plugs did you change? with a 12 lb. blower and 8:1 comp you would want a cold plug such as a autolite 3924 thats if you have afr heads just a recomendation. let us know whats up. [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try to eliminate the bypass valve, or block it off. Test drive it slow and see if it makes a difference.

And (DOH!) make sure the valve, and the MAF, are installed the RIGHT WAY, I.E. FOLLOW THE ARROWS!!!

Like the other guys said, post what s.c. setup and such you have- it will help stir the memory for us!!

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

DRIVINFST
¯
Member # 2430

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRIVINFST  Ford pictures for DRIVINFST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Combo is:
TFS Track heat intake, Ported stock heads w/ spring upgrade, f-303 cam, 30lb injectors, 76mm C&L MAF with correct sampling tube, Crane HI-6 box with boost retard. SC is a Powerdyne XB-1A. The MAF is located in the fenderwell with a filter located on the end of it. Double checked direction of flow and everything is correct. Tried timing at 8 degrees pill in and 22 degrees pill out. Runs better pill out. Fuel pressure is 48, no vacuum. Another strange thing I noticed is that when it idled on the motor it had 13 inches of vacuum, now it idles at almost none. I didn't take anything apart either that would cause a vacuum leak. This problem is almost exactly the same as when I had the wrong calibration tube in my C&L. I know its lean and not switching cause I have a scanner that gave my those codes, as well as a pretty light show gauge(A/F ratio). It also pops through the intake when I try to rev it.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Low vacuum is a result of late ignition timming, low compression, stuck throttle, or a leaking manifold gasket...

Do you have a purple calibration tube for your 76mm C&L?...The purple one is for 30#'s...

I still think it's the MAF.... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the C&L 76 on my car too, ran good N/A, but after the blower install, it wouldn't idle for shit, re-clocked it etc., couldn't get it to work good at all. Shitcanned it and bought a Pro-M 80, had it tuned, problem solved. C&L meters suck on blown cars IMO. [patriot]

[ April 28, 2004, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: 5LVENOM ]

DRIVINFST
¯
Member # 2430

Yes on the purple tube. Anyone else have trouble with C&L on a blown car?
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a pro-m that is calibrated for a blown car and make sure you tell them where the MAF will be located on the car(also if the filter will be directly on the MAF or with an elbow, etc..) Call them up and they should be able to help you(buy the big one, 80 or 83 mm!!!!). Good luck [patriot]

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com