Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How can one tell the difference between a 454 chvey and a 396?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How can one tell the difference between a 454 chvey and a 396?
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The motor seems to be original to the 76 suburban. Could that be one clue? Chevy?..yeah I know! Could be worse,honda? [patriot]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Isn't the 454 a big block? That should be a huge tip for you [Big Grin] Unless the 396 is a big block too. I am not that sure about Chevy's because I do not own that old of one.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL great help. I belive that 454 engines are externaly ballanced. look for a weight on the flexplate. Actualy I don't even think they made a 396 in 76. But you are taking your chances with this on a Ford forum [Wink]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

DRIVINFST
¯
Member # 2430

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRIVINFST  Ford pictures for DRIVINFST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
LOL great help. I belive that 454 engines are externaly ballanced. look for a weight on the flexplate. Actualy I don't even think they made a 396 in 76.

Exactly right, if it is the original motor in the Suburban, 454 is the only big block that could have ended up in it. 1976 they only made 454 and a POS 366 for HD trucks.
Posts: 555 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 396 is a big block also. I think they stopped using the 396 in '72. I'm not a Chevy guy though.

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
off topic real quick..sorry guys*

the nick--your sig is great...and so true man [patriot]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it's the original engine, and you're sure it's a big block, it's a 454. The 396 ended production in '69 and the 427 (which was never installed in a 'burban) ended production in '73.

http://www.roadsters.com/bbc/

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
off topic real quick..sorry guys*

the nick--your sig is great...and so true man [patriot]

Thanks man. [patriot]

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
If it's the original engine, and you're sure it's a big block, it's a 454. The 396 ended production in '69 and the 427 (which was never installed in a 'burban) ended production in '73.

http://www.roadsters.com/bbc/

The 396 was available in the '72 Camaro. From what I recall, the 396 wasn't in any more cars after '72.

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Right on. Not bad for a ford site! [patriot]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
65 custom
¯
Member # 3173

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65 custom  Ford pictures for 65 custom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just runthe vin number on the internet
Posts: 128 | From: mountian view | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
wrk horse
¯
Member # 3922

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrk horse  Ford pictures for wrk horse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought a 396 was a wedge block. Pistons/deck had more of a "angle". 396 and 402? one block type.
427/454another. Blocks more "square"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com