Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Why is my Stang OVERHEATING????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is my Stang OVERHEATING????
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK, this is what I have done, new water pump, new upper/lower Radiator hoses, newer radiator, new 180 thermost, new coolant and new electric fan, and my car is still getting HOTTTT.... WTF. Its not a head gasket, not a cloged cat (o/r H), not the heater core (bypassed). When I installed all this stuff it ran at perfect temp for about 1 month. Now its acting up again. I do have under drive pullies could this be the problem? Or could one of my parts be defective? Any suggestions would help, thanks. [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With those pullies, I think you gotta keep your engine revved up when it gets hot.
Next time it starts getting hot, give it a rev to see if it drops down a little bit.

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd find out exactly how hot the car is, because the factory 86 gauges aren't that accurate...

The first thing I would change would be the thermostat, then I'd make sure your electric fan is turning on and off at the correct temperatures...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCM:
With those pullies, I think you gotta keep your engine revved up when it gets hot.
Next time it starts getting hot, give it a rev to see if it drops down a little bit.

I have pullies and I have no problems with cooling on hot days. Today, for example, is over 90* here and my car ran like a champ.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I rev it when its hot, I can see the temp go down a bit, but not much. My fan is hooked up to a relay, I leave it on and it still gets hot. How do I check and see how hot its getting with out the factory gauge? what degree thermo do you recomend. Thanks guys. [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can buy a more accurate gauge like Autometer and install it...I had an Autometer water temp gauge in my last Mustang and the stock one and the Autometer one rarely agreed...There are also these tools that one of the mechanics at my last job had...I forgot what they're called, but it was a a hand held device that you could point at things and tell the temperature of them...I know you can buy them at Sears...

A 180* T-stat or a 190* are fine...A 160* is too cold and confuses the EEC...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Cool Thanks man. I try a Auto meter water temp gauge. I know what u r talking about, but I dont know what they are called either. I'll let u know how it goes. Thanks again bro.... [patriot]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
You can buy a more accurate gauge like Autometer and install it...I had an Autometer water temp gauge in my last Mustang and the stock one and the Autometer one rarely agreed...There are also these tools that one of the mechanics at my last job had...I forgot what they're called, but it was a a hand held device that you could point at things and tell the temperature of them...I know you can buy them at Sears...

A 180* T-stat or a 190* are fine...A 160* is too cold and confuses the EEC...

Hey matt you could buy a temp gun and check the heat of your engine but i bet like the others that your fact. guage is busted if your still driving it and its getting that hot that head gasket prob. would have blown by now if you cant get that beast fixed bring it by my shop and ill take a look at it i'll take care of you. hey dont you owe me some cash anyway.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This may sound dumb...but after you did all that work then a month later it started getting hot you might want to check your coolant level. After draining all the coolant then refilling it is always a good idea to recheck the level after a little while as the motor likes to drink some. Hope its something easy like that.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com