Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » alternator ground cap melting

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: alternator ground cap melting
andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman_2k01  Ford pictures for andyman_2k01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just recently i turned 1500 miles on the new engine. I notice yesterday that where the alternator ground wire is, the cap that covers it is melting onto the ground connection. I notice that my alarm is acting up but I am not quite sure why this is happening. does anyone have any suggestions?

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)
-99 Saleen Convert. #231-SOLD

Posts: 1503 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am assuming since this is a newer car you are talking about the positive 4 gauge lead that runs to the top of the alternator and has the rubber cap over it to prevent anything touching this hot lead. I'd pull the cap back and check the tightness on the nut holding this cable down. I would also follow the cable to the distribution block and check the tightness on the retaining nut there as well. Do all this with the battery disconnected. If all leads are tightened down as they should be I would than remove the alternator and have it checked out. An internal issue can cause the 4 gauge lead to heat up. Possibly an internal short inside the alternator itself. If all these things check out you will need to check all the supporting wires to see what kind of power/amps they are pulling as there may be a part somewhere in the system that has failed.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com