Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » I need help quick PLEASE Dyno appt today

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: I need help quick PLEASE Dyno appt today
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Last time at the dyno, my car made 307rwhp and 321rwtq and wasn't running right. It was missing at high rpms. Yesterday I checked the plugs and found that the plug in the #5 cylinder was cracked all the way around the base and could literally spin around.

I replaced it with the same type of plug (3924 gapped to .045) and check the condition of the rest of the plugs which turned out to be good.

I then start my car up and it's backfiring and running like complete crap. I've checked all the vacuum hoses on the passenger side of the car and swapped ignition wires and still nothing. How could I have messed up the plugs by just checking them and putting them back in? I triple checked the firing order and it looks good.

I have a dyno appt at 300pm today and need help fast....PLEASE.

Thank you,

Tony

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chances are your car was tuned with the cracked plug and now that your car is firing full time on all 8 the tune is off and that is all you are having trouble with at this point. The top end misfire you mentioned was that cylinder firing sporadically and the tune masked the issue. The chip will need a re-burn. As long as all the wires are on and routed to the correct cylinder from the correct position of the distributor this is your issue
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think it's the tune....
Are you sure you didn't swap 2 wires by mistake? 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm almost positive the wire are right...I'm leaving work today at 11am to put all new plugs in and recheck the wiring.

I was thinking the tune was off to but here's the things I've tried to test that:

no chip same syptoms
no wire on #5 cylinder same syptoms
I even put the old plug back in there to see what would happen...same syptoms

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmm pulling the chip would indicate it might not be the tune but did you also disconnect the battery and let the computer clear? If so than you've got something else going on either spark plug routing or something.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Well I left my battery disconnected over night and I'm just praying to god that when I go home and put in the new plugs and re run the wire, all will be good. If not, I'll have to tow it somewhere to get it fixed unless someone wants to come to Antioch for $$$ to look at it.

Man I was hoping to pick up possibly a little more power today with eight good plugs too... [Frown]

--------------------

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Guys- thanks for the help and suggestions by the way. Tony

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is your base timming at?....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Base was at 10...

I figured it out. I was a bad plug in the #2 cylinder. I replaced all of them just for ducks and found the bad one.

Shaun - Your the man...I swapped out my coil and there's no longer a high rpm misfire.

Mike - Nice meeting you today in San Ramon.

The car's number were the same in the 100 degree ambient temp at DynoLabs... [Cool]

Tony

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Nice meeting you too Tony, I was out in the area so I figured I'd stop by and check out Dyno Labs as I have been hearing good things about Ray's tuning.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
EDIT: My bad, I didn't read the whole post..been a long day and I've got a trip to Florida on my mind... [dance]

[ April 27, 2004, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: JohnB ]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
If I were you, I'd pull ALL the plugs and change them out.

I think he did...

quote:
I figured it out. I was a bad plug in the #2 cylinder. I replaced all of them just for ducks and found the bad one.

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Glad you got it figured out Bud! [patriot]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Glad you got it figured out Bud! [patriot]

[patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Man the car was driving me crazy...

I was gonna double check them last night at 10pm. I began with the #4 cylinder and accidentally dropped the socket and plug down into my engine compartment. I could get to it due to limited space. I couldn't believe my bad luck yesterday but it's all good now.

Ray at Dynolabs did a little more tuning today to make sure all was good free of charge which was really cool of him.

[patriot]

--------------------

Saint
¯
Member # 2746

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint  Ford pictures for Saint    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What where the #s with the car running good?
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

They didn't change:

307rwhp
321rwtq

I was hoping they'd go up a little but they didn't. They may have been a little better if it was cooler today. The temp in the garage was 100... [Eek!]

Hey I live in Antioch too.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com