Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » brake situation...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: brake situation...
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How could i tell if i messed up my rear brakes or not? Heres the situation: I currently switching to 5 lug and before i had the rear drums on i accidentally hit the brake pedal... Not hard, but maybe enough to do some damage. I got my drums today and tried to put them on but they arent fitting... The lugs line up but the drum just wont go over the brake assembly...

What should i look for to see if i damaged the brakes? Thanks

[Frown]

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You didn't hurt anything. What took place is the pads simply expanded outward. Open the brake line up, push the pads/assembly inwards and re-bleed the rear.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
would the pads be noticeably out of place if i pushed them forward? im tryin to figure out if thats the problem for sure
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What took place was that when you hit the brake pedal the brakes simply expanded like they normally would during driving. Since there was no drum on the assembly they expanded farther than they normally would. Thus the reason why the drum is not going on. Take the pads in your hands with the line open and push it into a tighter circle. put the drums on and than re-bleed.

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Now are these new drums going on or the ones that were on it? If there are new you have a thicker surface that was on there before. If this is the case pull the plug out from the back of the assembly and adjust the wheel

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, just open up the bleed screw on the wheel cylinder and press the shoes back together...All you did was open the shoes up a little...

Don't forget to adjust them when you have the drums on...

Drive backward and hit the brakes...It sounds funny, but thats how the automatic adjusters found on modern drum brakes work... [patriot]

[ April 26, 2004, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com