Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » best maf for 5.0

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: best maf for 5.0
1CLeeN5.0
¯
Member # 2124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1CLeeN5.0  Ford pictures for 1CLeeN5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was looking to buy a gms. when i looked to but it in the jegs catelog it said maf with cold air tuning and without. if i am running a bbk cold air then i want the one with the cold air tuning. and it also shows the injector sizes 19 24 and 30 i would want to buy the 19 b/c i am still running stock injectors right? thanks for dealin wit the rookie ?
Posts: 67 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1CLeeN5.0:
thanks for dealin wit the rookie ?

I'm really trying...but I'm going to need you to be more specific. I'm really confused on some of the things you're saying and asking.

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cold air tuning [Confused] yes you will want to stick with a mass air for 19 lb. injectors.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that's all marketing BS and lies. The factory airbox is cold-air, just run a K&N panel filter in the stock location and thank yourself for saving the $100+

also I'd say 90% + of the gain from an aftermarket MAF has zilch to do with airflow and everything to do with leaning out the mixture a tad. Something an adjustable fuel pressure regulator is capable of doing as well (for WOT anyways)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by slidewayz94:
cold air tuning [Confused]

this is where I gave up.

As for injectors, I agree....stick with the 19's.

I think you mean cold air induction, not tuning.

If you must buy any of it.....

Don't buy a gms meter. Go with either a pro-m meter, or c&l. Both are good pieces, and fairly reasonable in price.

[ April 26, 2004, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: the50ho ]

--------------------

1CLeeN5.0
¯
Member # 2124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1CLeeN5.0  Ford pictures for 1CLeeN5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it just asks me what type of mass air flow sensor do i want with cold air tuning or without. and it also says which injector size that i am currently running. so that when i put it on it will recalibrate correctly. it reads this....
1988-93 GT/LX - 5.0L w/Cold Air Tuning, 75mm do i need to replace the thottle body with a 75mm also to match? thanks for the help.

Posts: 67 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by 1CLeeN5.0:
it just asks me what type of mass air flow sensor do i want with cold air tuning or without. and it also says which injector size that i am currently running. so that when i put it on it will recalibrate correctly. it reads this....
1988-93 GT/LX - 5.0L w/Cold Air Tuning, 75mm do i need to replace the thottle body with a 75mm also to match? thanks for the help.

I dont know where you're reading cold air tuning, but whatever it is, put it down and walk away. Unless that's some new technology I dont know about...they are clueless about the parts they are selling. Any meter you buy, have it calibrated for 19's.

As for matching it with a 75mm Throttle body? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Not a chance. Leave your tb alone. And at best, with more bolt ons go with a 65mm tb...TOPS! A 75 mm would absoutely ruin your cars drivablity. It's far too large for anything I'm sure you have.

Good luck! [patriot]

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nope you guys are off on this as some mass air makers now are tuning their mass air meters to be used with a cold air intake. The reason behind this is that the makers are finding that some mass airs have difficulty with the bend present in some cold air kits. This is a new thing that I've heard of recently. I've always used Pro-M and have seen the least amount of trouble with them.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
Unless that's some new technology I dont know about...

Aftermarket mass air meters are very sensitive compared to stock...These aftermarket MAF's will not pick up the air flow correctly from a 90* elbow infront of the MAF...That is why they are requiring it...

[patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OH yeah, for your combo I'd get a 76mm C&L with the True Flow inlet pipe and a 65 Ford Racing TB and EGR plate... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
Unless that's some new technology I dont know about...

Aftermarket mass air meters are very sensitive compared to stock...These aftermarket MAF's will not pick up the air flow correctly from a 90* elbow infront of the MAF...That is why they are requiring it...

[patriot]

Learn something new everyday [patriot]

That makes perfect sense honestly. I know some systems dont like you using a fender-well mounted because of the different air flow.

Thanks [patriot]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com