Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Switching to synthetic oil ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Switching to synthetic oil ?
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am going to switch over to synthetic on my next oil change and was wondering if there was anything special i had to do. just drain and pour?

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes just drain and pour. I like to use oil and filter from amsoil in the 20/50 weight for pushrod motors. Also synthetic's should not be used on a new motor. You should have at least 3K on a new build before this type of oil is place in

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok thanx for reply!

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey mike, where is the best place you know of to buy amsoil? Don't say you know where [Razz]

Any place online have it for a good cost? I'm running it now, and have read nothing but good things at this point, and oil change #1 is coming up.

Thanks! [patriot]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.amsoil.com/

Call them and ask for a dealer listing for sac/roseville area your car runs 5/30 weight or order directly at their web site

[ April 26, 2004, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't do it if your motor has much over 80k miles, because full synthetic can make every seal (timing cover, oil pan, rear main, etc.) leak when on conventional oil it wouldn't.

not for high mileage motors, IMHO.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
I wouldn't do it if your motor has much over 80k miles, because full synthetic can make every seal (timing cover, oil pan, rear main, etc.) leak when on conventional oil it wouldn't.

I defeniately back this opinion every seal on your engine will more than likely leak i changed to synthetic on my old engine that had 105k on it and the next day on the garage floor it looked like my motor took a piss on the floor stick with regular oil if you have mileage on your engine beacuase regular oil is thicker and not prone to leak through your old gaskets. take it from experience [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleNotch:
quote:

I defeniately back this opinion every seal on your engine will more than likely leak i changed to synthetic on my old engine that had 105k on it and the next day on the garage floor it looked like my motor took a piss on the floor stick with regular oil if you have mileage on your engine beacuase regular oil is thicker and not prone to leak through your old gaskets. take it from experience [patriot]
As I certainly will take these opinions into account I have a few other things I would like to mention. When running 20/50 weight amsoil you are running a heavier weight than the norm being 10-30 or 10-40. I think most people may run the synthetics but choose a lessor weight. I have heard this before but I have seen a good buddy of mine run the 20/50 on his 175K mile stock shortblock without any issues. This car has the stock oil pan gasket and stock rear main seal. Just a thought as I've used this on older cars for a long while now and have only this as proof. There may be individual cases where the above mentioned ideas are so, so it is a personal decision at this point for the owner

--------------------

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
quote:
quote:

As I certainly will take these opinions into account I have a few other things I would like to mention. When running 20/50 weight amsoil you are running a heavier weight than the norm being 10-30 or 10-40. I think most people may run the synthetics but choose a lessor weight. I have heard this before but I have seen a good buddy of mine run the 20/50 on his 175K mile stock shortblock without any issues. This car has the stock oil pan gasket and stock rear main seal. Just a thought as I've used this on older cars for a long while now and have only this as proof. There may be individual cases where the above mentioned ideas are so, so it is a personal decision at this point for the owner
i've ran full synthetic in my chevy blazer that has over 200,000 miles, and had no problems. its a waste of money in my blazer.... but i just wanted to try it. [Razz]
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
quote:
quote:

Point well taken hey give it a try you can always switch back if you need to [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com