Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What's your diagnosis?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What's your diagnosis?
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 89 lx 5.0 just received a 3G upgrade. The main reason for the upgrade was due to a "sqeeling" noise coming from the stock alternator pully. So I figured I would finally do the upgrade. After the install the amps were lower than stock...I re-did the wiring with solder and heatshrinking. Seemed to fix the amp problem. Now today (2 days after the install) I have the sqeeling noise back and louder than ever. I had though MAYBE smog pump before and now I'm sure its the smog pump.

Symptoms:

Feels as thought the car drags at times like the smog pump wants to seeeze up.

Car dies when coming to a stop 50% of the time

The sqeeling is so loud that I'm embarrassed to drive the car

Battary meter in the car is all over the map

Please give me any and all ideas, suggestions and or comments that would help me to resolve the problems I'm having with the car above.

Regards,
J-Dub07

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like you got a bad alternator out of the box? sometimes if the brushes are too close to the case on the 3 G upgrade they will short on the case and fry the alternator. take the alternator out and have it tested at kragens first

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should make sure that your belt is on extremely tight. I bought a belt that was a little too big once and it squeeled like crazy. Also, make sure the new alternator pully is lined up with the other ones perfectly.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:
You should make sure that your belt is on extremely tight. I bought a belt that was a little too big once and it squeeled like crazy. Also, make sure the new alternator pully is lined up with the other ones perfectly.

thanks I'll check them. I know the belt is tight but maybe I somehow the alternator pully isn't lined up perfect. would that really make such a huge difference?
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just a thought, but maybe the squeeling is from the belt tensioner? it will squeel when the bearings are going bad.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you taken that alternator off yet and had it bench tested at Kragen?...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I suggest going and buying an automotive stethoscope (for like $12). It makes diagnosing engine noise a lot easier. The scope should come with a long metal probe, just put the probe on each component and listen for the noise to get worse.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

don't think its the belt tensioner as the noise sounds like its coming from the alternator at revs then at idle sounds like its coming from the smog pump. Smog pumps are cheap enough to just slap a new one in and see what that does...so I'll start there and in the mean time take the alternator in for a load test. I have the feeling its more than just one problem. [Frown]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com