Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Radiator/fan combo ? for 5.0

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Radiator/fan combo ? for 5.0
sn8k
¯
Member # 574

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sn8k  Ford pictures for sn8k  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Driving my fox today to work & back, and I noticed my temp gauge staying at 180 for about the first half of the trip home (25 mile drive). What concerned me is that the last 1/2 of the drive, the temp rose to 190, then right before I got home the temp was approaching 200. I am concerned about this, and with the radiator/fan combo that's in the car now (some aftermarket jerry rigged setup that I haven't the first clue what it actually is), I think it would be wise to get a known package that is going to get me through the summer months.

I would like some suggestions on what's been working for most folks, and just as important, where to buy. I'm not looking for the lowest price anything - but rather something that will do the best job. I should add that the car n/a at present, but future plans call for a pretty hefty shot of N2O to be used on occation - so keeping everything cool and happy under extreme conditions is job #1.
Thanks in advance [patriot]

--------------------
Mark K...

| 2003 Cobra | 2001 Cobra | 89GT |

Posts: 180 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Either a manual heavy duty clutch fan from Hayden with stock fan or an electric fan kit from black magic should work alright. I'd check over other areas in your cooling system to make sure they function properly. The temp your seeing isn't all that high as a lot of mustangs run in the 190 to 200 range

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just was in traffic for an hour stuck on 152 with the ac blasting on friday. I got up to 210 crawling at 5 mph. Then came down to 175 when I was at 60+mph. I think that was pretty good considering the ac going and almost at a stand still. I have an 86 with stock water pump, 180 stat, four row radiator, HD clutch fan from Hayden, stock fan and stock motor. I cruise all of the time at 175-190 with mild traffic.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
carajo
¯
Member # 4426

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for carajo  Ford pictures for carajo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can buy a flex-a-lite fan part#FLX-175 its made just for 5.0 and a cool aluminum radiator from ford,summit or sac mustangs.another route;buy a police clutch fan and new plastic fan and stock shroud.dont forget to change thermostat,i like the 180.hope this helps.

--------------------
06 magnum srt8 6.1
05 f250 lifted
94 gt wait till you see me!

Posts: 1468 | From: hate`n in richmond | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by carajo:

thats a funny name...i dont know how many times i have heard that said in my dads garage when i was young [Big Grin]

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
carajo
¯
Member # 4426

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for carajo  Ford pictures for carajo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u like that huh.only spanish speaking(beaners)would really know what that means. hey i think i know you...were you part of super shops about ?? years ago. im x emp.fun times in albany.

--------------------
06 magnum srt8 6.1
05 f250 lifted
94 gt wait till you see me!

Posts: 1468 | From: hate`n in richmond | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
sn8k
¯
Member # 574

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sn8k  Ford pictures for sn8k  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With the planned future mods to the car, having to do this twice just isn't a good plan.... so I went with this (the BeCool Super Street series power cooling module). It will certainly do the job, and make for an easy install.

-

Just ordered it from Summit, so it shoud be here in a day or two. Thanks for everyone's help [patriot]

--------------------
Mark K...

| 2003 Cobra | 2001 Cobra | 89GT |

Posts: 180 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sn8k:
With the planned future mods to the car, having to do this twice just isn't a good plan.... so I went with this (the BeCool Super Street series power cooling module). It will certainly do the job, and make for an easy install.

-

Just ordered it from Summit, so it shoud be here in a day or two. Thanks for everyone's help [patriot]

A nice kit but very spendy.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fluidyne or FMS 3-core aluminum radiatior and black magik fan should do the trick [patriot]
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an unknown brand 2 core aluminum radiator (bought from JohnB used [patriot] ) and a black magic fan, and I was sitting in traffic for 2 hours yesterday going by the half moon bay dream machines show and my temp guage never went over the 'L' which I think is 140 degree's.

when I got home I bumped the thermostat on the fan controller quite a bit higher [Wink] When that fan is running my car doesn't warm up at all.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn mark i could have got you a real nice setup as well with a griffen radiator and flex-a-lite dual fans like mine my car stays around 180 all day even in the extreme heat and with a 500 horsepower engine. let me know if you need those pieces installed you know me 12 volt electricity is my name and game [Wink]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with a Griffin 31 x 19/Ramcharger dual-fan setup with an upgraded alternator.

[ April 27, 2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: 88DroptopGT ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com