Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » gettin a new motor....what would you do?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: gettin a new motor....what would you do?
ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ci$ko  Ford pictures for ci$ko    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well heres my situation....i stumbled across some $$$ (damn the luck right?) in the next few days i'm goin to build a motor....im thinkin about goin with your standard internet combo...347 and some fully ported afr 185s goin n/a
i need some advice on what kind of fuel management (injectors..ect..) also what cam what this what....what that....i want to make a streetable motor that i can use a daily driver and also have fun at the track...what i have right now is all the bolt ons gears suspention...
i have a trick flow track heat u/l 70mm tb 76 cl maf 24lb injectors i just sold my tw heads and cam so dunnooo what to do....

i can also get a 351 aluminum block right now for dirt cheap or a 302r block for dirt also
so i dont know if i want to go the 351 base route or 302 base block route

im sittin here stuck like chuck with all theese options but i think i get a 347 block from chp im leaning twards that

so what would you do to build a fast ass streetable motor goin n/a
and i also want to be able to blow a little 300(or more) shot through it
as for trans im sittin on a tko

so what you build?

thanks for all the input
-c

[ April 23, 2004, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: ci$ko ]

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
89 lx burning up slicks at a track near you
91 bottled gt sold :/
72 chevelle

Posts: 1286 | From: valleJo .7o7. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd go with Keith Craft as the builder for the short block. They are the most reliable that I have seen. If you want the best 302 based block out there go with the dart block. Its even stronger than the famous A-4 and R block which is saying a lot about the build quality of the block. Since your running NOS you may want to forget about the on the shelf 347 packages. I'd run some compression in the motor as this will make for some huge gains over stock levels of compression. AFR 185's are a really good choice. Is this going to need to pass smog?

[ April 23, 2004, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ci$ko  Ford pictures for ci$ko    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well if some1 has a smog hookup for me then i dont care at all about smogs...if some1 wants to pm me with some smog hookup info lmk that will also determine my route...im not affiliated with BAR or any law enforcement ect... lmk

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
72 chevelle

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
chris hit me up, i know someone for smog, but its too damn pricey. chris you say you want something streetable (daily driver) but able to handle a 300 shot [Eek!] i definately would not have something that built as my daily driver. too much money. chris i would just build a stock motor for your daily. and buy another 5.0 and build it up. cause it sounds like you want to go crazy. a little too crazy for a daily driver.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If cash is no option the 351w will take you much further, no need for aluminum IMHO unless the car is a road racer.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go with a 351 base but not on a stock block and make far more power than you would with a 347 [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
kwikrob
¯
Member # 835

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kwikrob  Ford pictures for kwikrob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A 302 block is actually much stronger than a 351. If you don't plan on stroking the 351, go with the 347.

--------------------
Slowest car on this board!

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kwikrob:
A 302 block is actually much stronger than a 351. If you don't plan on stroking the 351, go with the 347.

do u have an explanation for this [Confused]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

kwikrob
¯
Member # 835

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kwikrob  Ford pictures for kwikrob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no proof. i have just heard from a few different people that a 302 block is stronger. maybe they are full of shit. what do i know. i have a 700hp big block with 2 bolt mains!

--------------------
Slowest car on this board!

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
351 blocks are stronger. Any how run the aluminum 351 and hook me up with the R block. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

ill let u know about it [Wink]
thnks
-c

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
72 chevelle

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A 351 block is MUCH stronger than a 302.
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
unless he's talking about the R-302, I could see the R-302 with it's limited stroke "outlasting" the A-351 or equivalent 351 block. (smaller moment arm to distort the main caps and cause block seperation) for a given HP level...

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a stroked 351 setup with a keith craft/scat rotating assembly. i have no problems with it.

351 blocks are SUPERIOR to 302 blocks.

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no replacment for displacement [patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another vote for 351! [Cool]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com