Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Random popping from motor?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Random popping from motor?
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah... so randomly my motor will make a loud popping noise. Mostly at low RPMs, and mostly at part throttle. It will pop and then bog. The motor has Twisted Wedge heads, TFS stage 1 cam, TFS street heat intake, 24# injectors, 76mm C&L MAF. F/P is at 37psi I believe. The car also has a MAF conversion from SD if that is helpful info. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem. If you need anymore info to diagnose just post up and I'll do my best to explain further.

EDIT: Forgot to add that when it doesn't pop, it still runs strong.

[ April 21, 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: The Nick ]

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the car is running real lean. I just fixed another car with this type of problem. This could be a number of issues. Check and make sure there are no vacuum leaks anywhere. Also was the MAF conversion done properly? It's more involved than just putting a meter inline and changing the computer out. One thing I see more than anything else is people using the wrong spark plugs on aftermarket heads. Make sure you have the right part # for your heads. Timing should be checked. Also bad O2 sensors could be causing this. Check these things and we can go from there

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what spark plugs are you running? you should have an autolite 3429 in there.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm running the plugs that were in the TFS installation manual. Also, the f/p was at 32psi, not 37psi. That seems kinda low, but does anyone know what a good ballpark for the f/p would be? Thanks again for the help guys.

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
38-40

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com