Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 8.8 Rearend?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 8.8 Rearend?
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I guess my question really centers around the overall length of a fox rearend housing. Welding perches etc is not a problem. I just dont want to shorten the axle tubes.

So, has anyone tried putting an 8.8 rear end in a 65 or 66 mustang?

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why in the hell would u want to do that

if u have a 9" ur set, but judging by the post i am going to guess that u have an 8" if u are looking to upgrade

just do a 9" swap, easier and u will never have to worry about it

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I put a heavy duty 9 inch in my fastback. The housing cost a few hundred, plus the cost of the ring and pinion gears, bearings, axles, studs, posi, yoke.

This is for my 66 coupe that has the original pegleg 2.73's in it. If the 8.8 width jives with what I can make work, then an 8.8 out of any fox with a $50 tracklock rebuild kit will be perfect for me.

eric...i still want that flywheel.

--------------------
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback on Welds:
I put a heavy duty 9 inch in my fastback. The housing cost a few hundred, plus the cost of the ring and pinion gears, bearings, axles, studs, posi, yoke.

This is for my 66 coupe that has the original pegleg 2.73's in it. If the 8.8 width jives with what I can make work, then an 8.8 out of any fox with a $50 tracklock rebuild kit will be perfect for me.

eric...i still want that flywheel.

oh ok, makes more sense now, i forgot u have two old ponies

if i was at home i would go measure my rearend but i am not, maybe i can have some one do it for me, what dimension are u looking for axle flange to axle flange right

and on the flywheel, what tranny do u have in the car, and this flywheel takes a fox style clutch, isnt the older tranny a different size clutch

[ April 20, 2004, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: 66 AC COBRA ]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
axle flange to axle flange should be fine, if you can get it. just get it next time you are home. no hurry.

im running a toploader in my fastback. i was under the impression that all factory style ford input shafts were the same, and therefore flywheels were interchangeable. i was about to use a king cobra clutch until i decided to reuse my old centerforce.

but i wanted an sfi approved 10.5 inch flywheel with a 28 oz balance...so basically i need what youre selling. 140 sounds fine as well.

--------------------
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

my centerforce is also a diaphram clutch, not the 3 finger style.

--------------------
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I recall it's anywhere from 54"-58" depending on where you measure

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
axle flange to axle flange should be fine, if you can get it. just get it next time you are home. no hurry.

im running a toploader in my fastback. i was under the impression that all factory style ford input shafts were the same, and therefore flywheels were interchangeable. i was about to use a king cobra clutch until i decided to reuse my old centerforce.

but i wanted an sfi approved 10.5 inch flywheel with a 28 oz balance...so basically i need what youre selling. 140 sounds fine as well.

give me a week on the flywheel, i might be selling the motor it goes with, and that means the flywheel should really go with it, my friend that might get the motor has one week to come up with the money or the flywheel is urs

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Needs to be narrowed for 66 below.

I have on on my 67' It fit nicely with disc brakes and running 5.75 back spacing on 17x8's.

On a 66 below it would either need to be narrowed 1 inch or more than 5.75 back spacing on wheels or drum brakes but you would still need about a 6.0 back spacing on the wheels.

Hope this helps.

I can get you hooked up with a nice rear end like mine. Don't expect to pay anything less than 1800 though 90% new not rebuilt.

Anybody that's seen the differential on the fastback would agree it was money well spent. [worship]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

double post

[ April 21, 2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Fastback on Welds ]

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
Needs to be narrowed for 66 below.

that sucks

--------------------
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com