Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How much boost can new Lightning's handle

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How much boost can new Lightning's handle
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Getting ready to buy a new lightning at the end of summer and I want to do the kenne Bell upgrade. I was wondering how much the stock block could handle being driven pretty much everyday [Confused]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm not sure how much boost those things can handle....From what I heard it was the stock Eaton that didn't like to be spun fast that caused most of the high boost problems...But, you said you were goin to go with a Kenne bell blower so forget that!...

Check this link out too...

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2664

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
93venom
¯
Member # 778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93venom  Ford pictures for 93venom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont think they can hold up to a lot of abuse....they arent 03 cobra motors thats for sure, i know of a burlingame kid who blew his 01 lightninhg with a pulley change...not sure what he was pushin but it was the stock eaton unit and the KB is capable of higher numbers than the stocker-Ken

--------------------
93 cobra #3445
1988 ranger-302 in progress
2003 ranger fx4 level 2

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks rob, looks like 450 rwhp is pretty much the limit or so all those guys say. That's 540 to the crank, I think I can live with that [patriot]

--------------------

-Me

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No problem, ryan....Those things have enough torque stock to have tons of fun...hehe... [burnout]

Oh yeah, and that's about 600 flywheel hp with 25% drivetrian loss through an automatic and that equals 450rwhp... [Big Grin] [patriot]

[ April 19, 2004, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

quote:
Originally posted by 93venom:
I dont think they can hold up to a lot of abuse....they arent 03 cobra motors thats for sure, i know of a burlingame kid who blew his 01 lightninhg with a pulley change...not sure what he was pushin but it was the stock eaton unit and the KB is capable of higher numbers than the stocker-Ken

If you talking about my friend mark it was the pulley change that did it. For some reson he's had oil get into his cylinder heads 3 times now with and without mods. 2 times on passenger and one on driver side. If you're talking about the guy in paesan that's what keeps happening to him and he didn't tune his motor for the pulley change either [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

-Me

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have ran 12lbs on my 99L with a chip, C&L meter and filter. I will say that it made all the power you will need for street tires. The eaton doesn't like to go over 12lbs though many do. I would run a chip filter and 4lbs pulley. That is enough to put you into the 12s at 107mph.

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

Posts: 962 | From: Manteca, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

I was thinking KB at 12 lbs with a K&N and a Bassani or Magnaflow cat back. I think that would certainly produce all I would ever want. Obviously with a chip [patriot]

--------------------

-Me

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No need to buy a KB unless you want to make big power. Go with an Apten ported blower. Only $500 and will net great results.

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

BTW exhaust is only for sound, it won't net you any power.

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com