Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » high flow cats

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: high flow cats
lawmans_GT
¯
Member # 3235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawmans_GT  Ford pictures for lawmans_GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone with flow cats ever pass smog with them. I was considering gettig a new exhaust system. But am worried sbout smog. 2001 GT SC
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My bassani x with hiflow cats on my h/c/i 5.0 has passed smog with flying colors everytime... [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

lawmans_GT
¯
Member # 3235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawmans_GT  Ford pictures for lawmans_GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You had no problem with the visual inspection?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
`96 and later vehicals need OEM cats.

I found that out the hard way when the stock cat plugged on my truck, which is a `97. I went to no less than 5 muffler shops with an aftermarket cat to get welded in replacement, and they wouldn't touch it, said OEM or kiss off basically.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no problems with visuals...

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

The TASM
CAFords OG
Member # 292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The TASM  Ford pictures for The TASM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I passed with high flow cats, and the visual as well because they never looked under the car when I went. [Big Grin]
Posts: 558 | From: nineonesix | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
`96 and later vehicals need OEM cats.

I found that out the hard way when the stock cat plugged on my truck, which is a `97. I went to no less than 5 muffler shops with an aftermarket cat to get welded in replacement, and they wouldn't touch it, said OEM or kiss off basically.

[BS flag]

If the cats are faulty you can replace them with any cat you want...

[ April 17, 2004, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
[B]If the cats are faulty you can replace them with any cat you want...[/B

[ April 17, 2004, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

Rob's right,
California law states that the cats are replacable if not functional or after 50K or 75K miles, doesn't matter what car or truck or brand of cat as long as it is epa legal which most, if not all, are, good luck. [patriot]

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just stating my experience with replacing the cats on my `97 gmc truck, about 6 months ago down in ventura county (socal).

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
just stating my experience with replacing the cats on my `97 gmc truck, about 6 months ago down in ventura county (socal).

most shops won't replace them.
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by lawmans_GT:
Anyone with flow cats ever pass smog with them. I was considering gettig a new exhaust system. But am worried sbout smog. 2001 GT SC

High flow cats will pass smog if you need the pipe installed drop me a pm i do mustang performance and audio at my shop. thank you, shaun [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

dynolabs
Member # 4424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dynolabs  Ford pictures for dynolabs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had success using the CarSound CARB/EO certified dual CAT systems by Magnaflow. They come with EO numbers which is all the smog shop needs to pass it. Recently had a 95 GT pass with just the dual hi-flow CarSound CATS instead of the OEM 4-CAT setup. The website is:
www.car-sound.com
Go to: PRODUCT->UNIVERSAL FIT->CALIFORNIA COMPLIANT
Ask for the EO number if you get these CATs.
Good luck!
Ray

--------------------
Dyno Labs, LLC
SCT Tuning
San Ramon, CA
(925)831-8240
info@dynolabs.net

Posts: 5 | From: San Ramon, CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just lower your car with some springs, and I'd bet most techs wont want to lay on the ground to look... [Razz]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com