Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car needs to got to a test only smog.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car needs to got to a test only smog.
1993 GT
¯
Member # 3104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1993 GT  Ford pictures for 1993 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I finally found a hook up for smog and then he tells me that my car was randomly chosen for a test only smog station. He said I need to take off all my ilegal parts. My question is what parts do I need to take off?

Cobra intake
E-303 cam
longtubes, offroad H-pipe
edelbrock 6037 heads
30lb injetors with matching mass air.
150 Shot of NOS
BBK CAI

I know the longtubes, Hpipe,NOS,BBK CAI, all have to go.What else can you think off? Also when it comes to the visual what do they check?

--------------------
Red 1993GT

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The E303, Cobra intake and Edelbrock heads should all pass... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
The E303, Cobra intake and Edelbrock heads should all pass... [patriot]

EDIT~Your car might run rich with those injectors though...Your combo should only need 24#s....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
1993 GT
¯
Member # 3104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1993 GT  Ford pictures for 1993 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Should I switch the injectors?

--------------------
Red 1993GT

onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1993 GT:
Should I switch the injectors?

just get another stock motor...thats what i would do....
Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can get a chip burned through Apex for those 30# injectors. The car will run fat with them without chip help.

[ April 12, 2004, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You might want to start with a pre-test before ripping everthing off, see where your at tailpipe wise. Unless you have CARB EO numbers for them, like you said the CAI, long tubes, nitrous(suprisingly allot of NOS's Dry kits have Carb #'s), and h-pipe would fail visual. The cam is legal anyway, the intake SHOULD be considered stock replacement(tell them to consult their smog check manual, appendix K-5, if they want to fail visual on the cobra intake), as for the injectors I would be suprised if the tech noticed anything abnormal unless you have aftermarket fuel rails or something. This may sound wierd but if you want a good, honest, cheap smog check take it to the state referee. Most of them really know whats up or at least can take the time to check out your aftermarket parts, unlike most private shops who just freak out at the sight of mods. I would highly recommend the referee at the Alameda referee site, very honest and through. You can make an appointment at 800-622-7733, its only $38.25 too! Just tell them you have some mods on the car and want a honest smog check. Hope this helps!
Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
1993 GT
¯
Member # 3104

Thnaks for all the help Jimbo I'll make an appointment tomorrow. I dont think I sould have to switch to a stock motor, I find it easier to remove the shit I have on now.

--------------------
Red 1993GT

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That bbk intake doesnt' have a carb number. The mac one doesn though...

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think you'll be more than fine with the 30# injectors. I passed with 30# injectors on a stock motor in '03(stock intake) and GT-40 heads with flying colors, idle HC was zero in fact, and the 2500 rpm test was under 10% of the limit.

I'm going to pass this month with the same 30# injectors and a spare stock motor again, be happy to show anyone the smog dyno #'s [Razz]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take off the longtubes and ORH and replace with shorties and catted pipes, hide nitrous accessories. I heard of some people passing with 30# injectors if everything else motor-wise had emission-friendly mods. Do a $50 pre-test to see if you need a chip to lean it out, you might pass. Otherwise, just find some guy selling 19 #'s inj. really cheap and swap those in. I would also have CARB #'s for the BBK just in case the visual guy was a stickler. Make sure you have your smog pump connected also.

Cover all bases to save time and another $50-70 for a re-test. Pre-test at least.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the test only station is the same as the dyno. the only difference is they tend to be more strick with the visual inspection part...but as for the dyno/sniffer part its all the same across the board. I'd be more worried about the visual inspection. Test only stations have nothing to gain or lose by failing you or passing you. Test only stations suck. like suggested get a pretest done first...it can really save you some $$$ in the end.
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
the test only station is the same as the dyno. the only difference is they tend to be more strick with the visual inspection part...but as for the dyno/sniffer part its all the same across the board. I'd be more worried about the visual inspection. Test only stations have nothing to gain or lose by failing you or passing you. Test only stations suck. like suggested get a pretest done first...it can really save you some $$$ in the end.

Test only's are no more or less strict than a test and repair smog station, it all depends on the smog tech and or the management of the shop. The state setup Test Only's to benefit the customer actually, because they cant repair the car they have no reson make you fail(which test and repair stations have been accused of doing when they need business)
Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com