Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » engine compartment hot as hell on fox

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: engine compartment hot as hell on fox
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The gauge is reading about 1/3 and there are no unusual fluctuations. The coolant and radiator are by no means boiling over,but the rest of the parts are hot as hell. I can barely stand touching the cold air or even the strut tower brace. I do have equal lengths on there though. When I get a chance I would like to compare the compartment temps to my brother's bone stock car. [patriot]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
normal
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
things get hot in an engine compartment, I don't see what you're worried about. Yes your intake is hot, why do you think inter/after coolers are so popular now [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Headers heat up to over 400* F. Heat rises and with a stock hood, there isnt any place for that heat to go except up against the liner of the hood. When I got my cowl hood, I noticed that the temperature of the air after taking the hood off is a lot cooler. But its normal for it to be VERY hot.

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
right on people [Smile]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could try wrapping your headers with some fire proof cloth or tape. I've heard that lowers underhood temps pretty well

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This may or may not help. The little black strip of plastic that usually rubs on curbs, its mounted on the lower radiator support under the radiator. That piece acts as an air splitter and creates a low pressure area helping to scavange air out of the engine compartment, if its gone you may want to repace it, might make a difference. [Confused]
Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

quote:
Originally posted by 88bird:
This may or may not help. The little black strip of plastic that usually rubs on curbs, its mounted on the lower radiator support under the radiator. That piece acts as an air splitter and creates a low pressure area helping to scavange air out of the engine compartment, if its gone you may want to repace it, might make a difference. [Confused]

Really? [patriot]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i think that black piece under the car makes a huge difference. i took mine off and my car started getting a lot hotter. so i put it back on and fine since.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com