Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » T5 MAKING SCREECHING NOISE..

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T5 MAKING SCREECHING NOISE..
HYPERSVT
¯
Member # 1707

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HYPERSVT  Ford pictures for HYPERSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I took a trip to redding this weekend and on my way back i got stuck in traffic. The tranny started making an intermitant screeching noise. Now that im back, after 10 min of driving the screeching comes back but its constant now. The noise is directly related to the speed of the car though. the noise deadens the slower i go and dies completly at a stop. What do you think this is. Could this be something else. The only thing that i can think is the throwout bearing? Or the bearings on the input shaft?????

BTW i drained my tranny. the oil that was in there was like 2-3k miles old and looked brand new.

--------------------
Lincoln LS V8
2004 CRF 230

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmm if the noise stops when the wheels are not turning but the motor still is it could be a # of things. Does the noise change at all when you push the clutch in? Throw out bearing will usually be something that either changes pitch or stops making noise with the clutch depressed or not depressed. That leaves a problem in the transmission itself or a slight possibitity that the clutch/pressure plate is having an issue.

[ April 07, 2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
HYPERSVT
¯
Member # 1707

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HYPERSVT  Ford pictures for HYPERSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whether the clutch is in or not has no effect on the noise. neither does the gear that im in or how much im accelerating or decelarating. Its just related to wheel speed........

--------------------
Lincoln LS V8
2004 CRF 230

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok well if you've got the car up off the ground and can verify it is in fact coming directly from the tranny area than it has to be a bad bearing in the tranny. I'd put the car up on stands first to verify this

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
drain the "oil" and replace it with dex.
or atf. make sure your running the right stuff!
[Eek!] if you dont it'll overheat the tranny resulting thermal break down on the bearings and moving parts!!! [Frown]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, make sure to use Dextron III, otherwise it sounds like a bearing on the output shaft...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
HYPERSVT
¯
Member # 1707

Its always had DEX III in it. I just thought some new oil might help.

--------------------
Lincoln LS V8
2004 CRF 230

vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yo Brandon, hey my phone is broken but I still check my messages. Does the noise happen in all gears? If it disappears with gear changes, it might be your input shaft bearing, if it happens all the time, it is probably your output bearing. But the gears are good right?? Maybe you should try synthetic fluid(Redline atf, i think it's D4), according to my buddy, the trans. might have dryed up and may a few fluid changes to flush it and get oil back into the bearing.
[Frown] The trans is good besides that right, sorry, I trust my buddy's judgement when he told me/you the tranny was good, it just sat around for a while.

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

HYPERSVT
¯
Member # 1707

K well everyone seems to think that its the "output bearing" in the tranny. Before I yank my tranny for the 6th time.... Has anyone ever done a bearing change on a T5 or know whats involved. If its teedious and time consuming I can live with that. Anything more (such as precision tools and measurements)the car will be taken to a shop... Thanks

--------------------
Lincoln LS V8
2004 CRF 230

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Um....Take it to a shop.... [Big Grin]

I rebuilt my last T5 and it was pretty easy, but I did have to buy some extra tools...Gear pullers, snap ring pliars, micrometer are just a few that I remember....The only thing that I worried about was the bearing preload...Otherwise its kinda straight forward... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com