Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ATTN: 93pony Cam question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ATTN: 93pony Cam question
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just aquired a F303 cam and i was wondering if i should install it Dot to Dot or advance/retard it.

Heres the setup.
hooker long tubes off road exhaust
pullies and all other bolt ons
stock E7 heads
stock intake until i purchase the tyhpoon soon.
4:10 gears
shifter
custom made intake pipe
electric fan
I will also be purchasing a set of heads soon.

Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i installed mine straight up.just lined up the keyways and it works great.great cam [burnout]
i was told that retarding it 4 degrees will gAIN 10 HP.BUT I FELT a seat to pants feeling even installed straight up.if your gonna use the stock e7's you'll need stronger springs.

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for the reply. I'm still going to use stock springs cause im too broke to buy new ones right now. I think it should be fine for a little bit. Can you show me the link where it said if you retard the cam you will gain 10 hp?
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't install that cam with stock valvesprings. You could have severe valvefloat & have a piston kiss a valve....which could take out the entire motor. (seen it happen)

Depending on heads I'd retard the F 2-6 degrees.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

How much clearance do you think there would be between the piston and valve? What if i shaved some material off the pistons? I want to install the cam because im replacing the fron main seral and balancer already so i want to put it in also. Can i put it in there until i get new heads which wont be long?
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea FUCK IT! [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i really don't think you'll have any clearance probs.just using stock springs is real risky.
put the cam on the self till you get better heads [Wink]
though i'm using the stock gt40 heads w/stock springs [Eek!] put i like to live dangerously [Roll Eyes]

93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Hey street do you have AIM? If you do pm with your s/n I called the pick your part and they said they dont sell heads just the complete engines. Damn i guess im going to have to steal some LOL. I have an extra set of e7's so if something goes wrong i will have another set laying around.
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

what kinda heads where you trying to find at the junk yard [Confused]
i got a set of e7'just chillin next to my
wreaked 89 gt.just stay glued to ebay for a week or so and i'm sure you'll score a good deal on some gt40 head for around 350.
i dont have aim.
you can reach me here or lewis3509@hotmail.com
good luck bro [patriot]

93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

I was looking for gt40's they came on the 96-98 explorers. I have a extra set of e7's i just dont want to put money into them.
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

quote:
Originally posted by street_illegal_stang:
what kinda heads where you trying to find at the junk yard [Confused]
i got a set of e7'just chillin next to my
wreaked 89 gt.just stay glued to ebay for a week or so and i'm sure you'll score a good deal on some gt40 head for around 350.
i dont have aim.
you can reach me here or lewis3509@hotmail.com
good luck bro [patriot]

Oh yeh what kind of headers are you using with the gt40's?
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

BBK long tubes 1/5.8"/BBK OFF ROAD H-PIPE
2 CHAMBER FLOWS WITH 2.5" TAIL PIPES. [Big Grin]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com