Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 89-93 Did they come with many problems??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 89-93 Did they come with many problems??
Tyler_S
¯
Member # 4321

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler_S  Ford pictures for Tyler_S    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am very interested in buying an older mustang 89-93 but before I do i am trying to find any research, will i be spending $$ constly on repairs and I am not talking about abuse but did these cars come with many manufacture issues?
Posts: 55 | From: N.California | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nope.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes, the water pumps fail early, alternators suck too, and the EGR system tends to clog, the power steering rack tends to leak, and the automatic trannies really really suck as far as efficiency and there is no way to easily manually shift it (1-D-1 ? lol)

lots of squeaks, the unibody typically needs re-enforcing, the stock brakes pretty much suck, and the stock handling is pretty sad too compared to some pretty mundane current competition.

The motors are pretty stout though, and what you're buying is potential.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
yes, the water pumps fail early, alternators suck too, and the EGR system tends to clog, the power steering rack tends to leak, and the automatic trannies really really suck as far as efficiency and there is no way to easily manually shift it (1-D-1 ? lol)

lots of squeaks, the unibody typically needs re-enforcing, the stock brakes pretty much suck, and the stock handling is pretty sad too compared to some pretty mundane current competition.

That pretty much sums it up [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Tyler_S
¯
Member # 4321

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler_S  Ford pictures for Tyler_S    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so pretty much dont get an auto or I will be looking to replace it soon if it hasnt already and all the other things are minor.
Posts: 55 | From: N.California | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its not that you have to replace the auto its just it sucks up alot of power and they tend to go out alot..But an abused t-5 will go out faster in even less time!

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
BlueLightning302
¯
Member # 3974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueLightning302  Ford pictures for BlueLightning302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and the center console ash tray door might as well come broken from the factory. stock alt is adequate w/o underdrives or big sound system. never heard about water pumps being a chronic problem, mine is 12 years old and still going.

--------------------
Originally Member #935

2003 Mustang Cobra - Some mods

"Well, atleast the slow one's trying!!" - Al Bundy

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a stock alternator and underdrive pulleys and a huge system: No problems here

::oakland bump:: BOOOM BOOOBOOOOM [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

badazz
¯
Member # 1773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazz  Ford pictures for badazz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

so what he is saying is it wont be long b4 you get mustang fever and start modding the shit out of yer stang!! [Razz] see ya posting in the near future on the cafords sale section [Wink]

[ April 05, 2004, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: badazz ]

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueLightning302:
and the center console ash tray door might as well come broken from the factory...

13 years and 108,000 miles later and my ashtray door still works! FordPny will attest to that! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Yeah but all that's going to be replaced or reinforced. Who leaves these cars stock? [Wink]

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What ever u do don't spend more than $3,500 on it cause in the end u want it to be your own custom creation not buy one that's already done. Oh yeah and once u start u can't stop!! [burnout]
UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You guys forgot to mention the light problems!!

--------------------
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There was also a recall having to do with the TFI (ignition) module overheating. This can casue the car to stall or not start.

I have never had this problem but my dad did with his '89. He replaced the module and everything was cool.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 125k on it an still on the original water pump.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine has 152k on the ticker and only recently was the waterpump and radiator replaced.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lemme see here...92gt, 92k original miles.

replaced radiator
2 water pumps
2 alternators
busted ashtray door
cluster lights on the whole right side have been out.
headlight bulbs have gone out a few times.
coolant temp guage
MAP sensor (?) near the vacuum tree.
oh yeah, plus the recalls.
[patriot]

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by castor:
lemme see here...92gt, 92k original miles.

replaced radiator
2 water pumps
2 alternators
busted ashtray door
cluster lights on the whole right side have been out.
headlight bulbs have gone out a few times.
coolant temp guage
MAP sensor (?) near the vacuum tree.
oh yeah, plus the recalls.
[patriot]

Yeah, I found out the hard way that a faulty coolant temperature gauge combined with a stuck thermostat can cause some problems. [Mad]

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

50/50
¯
Member # 1724

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 50/50  Ford pictures for 50/50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My '91 needed to have the basic "break-downs" replaced such as: the belt, radiator, water pump steering rack and the brake calipers. Of course all them were more than 10 years old so it was about time anyways. I had a problem with the "check engine" turning on when ever I pressed the gas and off when I stepped off. I fixed that problem so the light off. The suspension bushings were replaced so the ride feels better now. Cars are much like us. Things need to get fixed when it gets old. Other than that, I really love my Mustang. [patriot]

--------------------
Previously named: VenGeance, 5LiterFever, 50cal.

Drive safely. You wanna drive in it. Not DIE in it.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com