Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » manual rack

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: manual rack
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone running one? the only person i know running one i think got sawsoned
if so, how do you like it?
and what about the flaming river quick ratio rack&pinion? hows that feel?

i need to go to manual rack so i can free up some room te ease the turbo install. bye bye PS, AC, and smog. hello hair dryer [Big Grin] [burnout]

[ March 31, 2004, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: cobraman_1994 ]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got a flaming river rack on my coupe [Smile]

its a little hard to turn when the car is sitting in one spot, but I think it looks really good installed.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:

its a little hard to turn when the car is sitting in one spot, but I think it looks really good installed.

yeah, it just helps make the engine compartment look much cleaner. so only when stopped its hard to turn? fuck that, i hate making u turns anyways [burnout]

--------------------
86 GT

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah im gonna be switching to a manual rack soon to. my a/c and all my smog is already gone. my blower is also going on soon. good thing i got smog hookups.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well my car hasn't driven in 3 months, but I will be able to let you know by this weekend, I am hoping to have it on the road tomorrow, I need to fix a minor leak on my fuel return line then I take it to get it aligned, discharge the a/c system so I can take it out, then get it smogged. I should have plenty of short trips where I'll be able to get the feel for the rack.

but from pushing my car around the driveway during my 4 cylinder swap and getting rid of related parts from the garage, it seems to be very easy to turn once the car is rolling.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have driven the three different common types of manual rack cars

my car, ghetto styel, stock rack without lines and just open airs, not bad at all when moving, from a stop not so fun, on 205/x/15 shit tires right now

quick ratio road racing rack with cobra r's and 245's up front, not that easy unless going 35+mph, almost impossible to turn from a stop or very slow role

slow ratio 20:1 with 225/x/16's, easily the best of the bunch, not that hard to turn even from a stop

get the slow ratio rack and just get ready to turn the wheel alot, but its worth it because the effort isnt that much freater that stock with PS

both aftermarket racks were from flaming river

eventually i will be getting a flaming river slow ratio rack

talk to kasey, jmclesky's (sp?) cousin, he goes by kcmustangboy on here, gumby had the slow ratio rack and 245/45/17 and was just fine when i was in it

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
talk to kasey, jmclesky's (sp?) cousin, he goes by kcmustangboy on here, gumby had the slow ratio rack and 245/45/17 and was just fine when i was in it

I bought gumby, the rack, engine, driveline, brakes, etc for my 4 banger swap are from gumby [Smile]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:

I bought gumby, the rack, engine, driveline, brakes, etc for my 4 banger swap are from gumby [Smile]
i see, so that is what he did wit hthe car

man i remember that motor, i did the headgaskets on it with casey, that motor is strong for being stock [patriot]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

yea I noticed the ARP bolts on the heads and wondered what was up...

the engine still runs great [patriot]

it may be a stock motor, but with the underdrive pullies, a/c delete, smog pump bypass, electric fan, and manual rack it doesn't have that much load except to send the power to the wheels [Smile]

it will be getting GT-40 heads and an edelbrock performer intake and the longtube headers will go back on after I smog it [Big Grin]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

so how much weight will be lost on my car?
manual rack
tubular k member
coilovers
no ac
no smog
no back seats
no power options at all

86 GT t top with 6pt roll bar

--------------------
86 GT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

probably near 80 pounds, flaming river advertises the rack saves 30 pounds alone in the swap

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i run a complete tubular front end with a flaming river manual rack with the billet steering shaft works fine and im turning 20's. just dont expect to talk on the phone while driving. [Big Grin]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
curious about this as well, I will be swapping to a manuel when I can afford it, I want to do it when i do my K member and switch to the welds

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
Originally posted by cobraman_1994:
so how much weight will be lost on my car?
manual rack
tubular k member
coilovers
no ac
no smog
no back seats
no power options at all

86 GT t top with 6pt roll bar

the manual rack will weigh exactly what ur stock rack weighs, the 30# weight savings is from removing the pump, lines, and fluid

if u do everything mentioned above, i bet u will take 200 pounds off the car, but u will add 80 pounds of rollbar, but u will gain 10-15hp up top with the removal of the PS drag on the belt

so its a weight savings of 120, but u are talking almost 200 pounds off the front and adding 80 pounds just infront of the back tires and adding chassis stiffness [patriot]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
yea I noticed the ARP bolts on the heads and wondered what was up...

the engine still runs great [patriot]

it may be a stock motor, but with the underdrive pullies, a/c delete, smog pump bypass, electric fan, and manual rack it doesn't have that much load except to send the power to the wheels [Smile]

it will be getting GT-40 heads and an edelbrock performer intake and the longtube headers will go back on after I smog it [Big Grin]

i dont even think the head gasket blew, the car was having overheating problems, but when we did the HG it seemed fine, i think it was mainly because the radiator was plugged

if i remember we put in a better radiator that wasnt pluged, new t stat, and HG, and the car got to temp at about 185 [patriot]

kasey drove that car from sac all the way to fairfield open longtube header to get the gears done, and after all that we couldnt do it because of a bolt, so he had it done a week later

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got a manual rack from autozone for a 85 mustang or so and put it on my 89 and it feels just the same as my budys who has a flaming river but at 300 dollars less and i dont even have the skinnies up front yet i vote for a autozone rack
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Ditto, Although mine is in my 'vert

I actually like the feel of the manual rack WAY better than the power rack when it comes to being sideways on the track, the steering input is much more positive and I am 100% sure I would have tagged the wall @ Sac the last time I was squeezing out of the hole if it hadn't been for the Flaming River manual rack !!!!

I bought a 20:1 rack from a guy on this board, but when I picked it up, it turned out to be the 15:1 [Big Grin]

I have skinnies (on Welds, happy Mr. Go Fast?) and it isn't bad at all even from a dead stop

Good Luck
Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain:
I have skinnies (on Welds, happy Mr. Go Fast?)

hell yeah [patriot] [Cool]

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain:
I have skinnies (on Welds, happy Mr. Go Fast?)

hell yeah [patriot] [Cool]
[Big Grin] [patriot] [Big Grin] [patriot] [worship] [worship]

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So how many turns is it lock to lock with the slow ration rack?

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
So how many turns is it lock to lock with the slow ration rack?

The "standard" ratio Flaming river rack
Part #FR1503 is 3.75:1 lock to lock

Quick ratio Flaming River rack
Part #FR1520 is 3.3:1 lock to lock

I got this info from here

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well that aint too bad. [Smile]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com