Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Clutch and Transmission question.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Clutch and Transmission question.
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just finished doing my engine swap

The problem is when I put the tranny in any gear, Car feels like its in nuetral, I can completly let go of the clutch in gear and nothing happens and the engine just free revs, and the cable feels real soft when you push it in.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
HYPERSVT
¯
Member # 1707

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HYPERSVT  Ford pictures for HYPERSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Throw out bearing is backwards....

--------------------
Lincoln LS V8
2004 CRF 230

HYPERSVT
¯
Member # 1707

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HYPERSVT  Ford pictures for HYPERSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you have an adjustable cable? It could be that too if its not adjusted right...

--------------------
Lincoln LS V8
2004 CRF 230

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im going to take out the tranny soon and check it out.

The clutch cable is stock and in good shape.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lift up on the clutch pedal this will reset the stock adjustors on the stock quadrant.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is the tranny actually going into gear?

--------------------

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Yes the tranny feels like its going into gear.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

If you pull off the inspection cover on the bell housing does the cable have tension on it? Can you feel the pressure plate teeth depress when you push the clutch in? I find it hard to imagine you have the throw out bearing in backwards. This can been seen through the inspection cover opening. It only sits in the fork one way. Sometimes people will adjust an aftermarket shifter so that the stops keep the shifter from going into gear but if you feel the shifter engaging into gear that wouldn't be it. Sit in the car while its off the ground and have someone watch the clutch fork action while you depress the clutch.

--------------------

HYPERSVT
¯
Member # 1707

I just say throwout bearing because I did it when i was in a hurry [Eek!] If the car is going into gear then the throwout bearing HAS to be in right or the gears would just grind when you tried to put it in gear. Is beyond me how you can disengage the clutch with the pedal to go into gear but when you go to engage it theres nothing there. That doesnt even seem possible [Confused] You put a clutch and pressure plate back on the flywheel right ?? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Dont know bro. That sounds like one of those things you have to have in front of you to figure out. Good luck though [patriot]

--------------------
Lincoln LS V8
2004 CRF 230

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like i said in your other thread it has to be the clutch qaundrant.it sounds like u have the same problem i did

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Lift up on the clutch pedal this will reset the stock adjustors on the stock quadrant.

Thats exactly what I did and the car shifts perfect and drives perfect.

4.6 EATIN GM'S you pretty much nailed it, I was just to tired that night to think straight.

Thanks everyone for the help. [patriot]

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

[patriot]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com