Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what does lean mean?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what does lean mean?
menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i hear that my car is running lean. what exactly does that mean? is it not recieving enough gas or air? [Confused]
Posts: 776 | From: Santa Cruz y Menlo Park | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuel.
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5LVENOM:
fuel.

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

highofftiresmoke
¯
Member # 2159

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for highofftiresmoke  Ford pictures for highofftiresmoke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it means that you have too much air and not enough fuel... if you want to be certain that you are infact running lean... pull out one of your spark plugs... if its white ur lean if its black.. ur rich...

--------------------
90 red lx - sold
90 white lx -sold
90 red gt - in progess and then for sale ...

Posts: 482 | From: san jose,ca | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What makes you think that your car is running lean? What symptoms is it showing? Looking at the pictures on your web page your car looks pretty stock. It should not be running lean unless you have a sensor problem.

The spark plug test will work but you need to pull the plug right after running the car HARD. Go out and run wide open throttle through the gears for about a quarter mile (in a safe place!). Then shut the car down and check a couple of plugs. You'll sometimes see racers on the return road at the quarter mile track pulled over pulling plugs. You want to read them as soon as you can after pulling a WOT run without letting them load back up when just cruising.

But, again, what makes you think that you're lean (not getting enough fuel or pulling in unmetered air)? You could be running just fine.

By the way, your car could have been my evil twin a few years ago! Props to the white GT's! [worship]

Sean.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i put it on the machine and it gave me a code 14, and other related ones. my car has been running really poorly for the past two weeks, and it sometimes make a loud popping noise from the engine bay. i dont know where the fuel problem might be?
Psydwaze
¯
Member # 1280

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psydwaze  Ford pictures for Psydwaze  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A 14 is "Ignition pickup was erratic".

I'm not exactly sure, but could this be the distributor or rotor? Anyone else.

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd look at the distributor itself, possibly a bad tfi module

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
I'd look at the distributor itself, possibly a bad tfi module

I agree...

#14~Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) failure

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

i just changed the tfi not to long ago (because my car would not start), and it really feels like the car needs more fuel. i might be wrong about the 14, but i think that it was one of the numbers it gave (not completly sure). i beleive there might be a leak, because the car smells funny sometimes. however, i dont know where to look for it.
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by menlo pony:
i just changed the tfi not to long ago (because my car would not start), and it really feels like the car needs more fuel. i might be wrong about the 14, but i think that it was one of the numbers it gave (not completly sure). i beleive there might be a leak, because the car smells funny sometimes. however, i dont know where to look for it.

You need to hook up the computer again and get the codes. Post them here and we'll help you figure it out. Don't go just poking around and replacing stuff blind. The computer will tell you where to look.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
kind of off subject but when trying to pull my codes on my 89 lx. the meter would just make one long beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep until you unpluged it. any suggestions? black94 5.0 tried the same meter on his car and it worked just fine....then my car and,....BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE P.
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok when you replaced the TFI module did you replace it with a Ford part? I've heard some aftermarket TFI's are junk. My guess here is that your distributor is shot and I would bet it's a bad Hal effect sensor in the distributor. If you have a buddy with another 94/95 dist. simply swap yours out for his and see if that cures the problem. If your throwing a code for a PIP signal error it's got to be one of the following, bad distributor, bad TFI or bad wiring running between TFI, distributor, and computer. Check all these things out and you should nail down whats wrong

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
kind of off subject but when trying to pull my codes on my 89 lx. the meter would just make one long beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep until you unpluged it. any suggestions? black94 5.0 tried the same meter on his car and it worked just fine....then my car and,....BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE P.

Check your diagnostic port connector (where you plug the scanner in) Make sure all leads going into the connector are hook up and going where they need to be.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com