Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » TUNE: Powertrain Dynamics (autologic) vs SCT Custom Tuning (mail) *SCT tuned now* :-(

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: TUNE: Powertrain Dynamics (autologic) vs SCT Custom Tuning (mail) *SCT tuned now* :-(
Autobadges Guy
¯
Member # 1657

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for Autobadges Guy  Ford pictures for Autobadges Guy  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok well if you guys know my story, the car had problems with its idle and it tended to shut down here and there. It started to buckle a bit when i started taking off recently

I changed the plugs..same Autolite 764 and gapped to .035, then i noticed the vac line that was loose. I hooked it back in, and wow the cars idle was amazing, i drove it, smoooooooth...got home turned off.

Came back after eating for some video files, then i see my a/f gauge all the way on rich as idle (usually closer to lean) and i look at the side exhaust and see some white smoke. I get closer and smell the gas as well as my eyes burning a WHOLE LOT....meaning I am super rich. The car is very very rich, but it runs 10x's better.

What I am afraid of is that SCT tuned my car w/o the vac line on, so i can't drive it the way it is now.

Spoke with justin and he said to drive it for about 50 miles and see if the tune makes the computer adjust (i got a flash, not a chip), what are the chances?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

I have the choice of getting the mail order SCT piggy back chip and fix the a/f on it now. But I would have to get a dyno run (like 50-75) to get the a/f and then send it, get the chip and run it AGAIN for the reading *more $* or I could go to Powertrain Dynamics and get a local tune..but how reliable are they? review??

--------------------
CUSTOM AUTO badges
www.autobadges.com
sales@autobadges.com

www.SHOWSTANG.com

Posts: 143 | From: los angeles | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmm the chance that the computer will adjust...IMO very slim based on the fact that it is running so pig rich right now. If it was just a touch rich than maybe. Try and disconnect the battery and clear the computer to start with a fresh program. Sometimes that helps but in your case my guess would be that you need a re-tune. I have seen great results with autologic chips. If your putting one on a computer thats already been flashed than you might run into some issues doing that. The main thing with a chip is as everyone knows someone who knows how to set them up.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Autobadges Guy
¯
Member # 1657

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autobadges Guy  Ford pictures for Autobadges Guy  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Hmm the chance that the computer will adjust...IMO very slim based on the fact that it is running so pig rich right now. If it was just a touch rich than maybe. Try and disconnect the battery and clear the computer to start with a fresh program. Sometimes that helps but in your case my guess would be that you need a re-tune. I have seen great results with autologic chips. If your putting one on a computer thats already been flashed than you might run into some issues doing that. The main thing with a chip is as everyone knows someone who knows how to set them up.

well yeah thats what I was thinking about it adjusting, its too rich to adjust.

Now why is it a problem to try to put a chip on the computer that has been flashed? It should have no impact whatsoever in my opinion...the computer just has a program in it for what it has now. [Confused]

oh and if i stay with SCT, i have to get a chip mailed to me...so either way a chip will have to be on there...whats the difference that you see?

and i got lost on your last sentence. [Frown]

[ March 22, 2004, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: Autobadges Guy ]

--------------------
CUSTOM AUTO badges
www.autobadges.com
sales@autobadges.com

www.SHOWSTANG.com

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well when I worked at Apex and we needed to tune a saleen which had the re-flashed ecm we couldn't touch it with an autologic chip. What we had to do is first re-flash the saleen ecm with a base program for the model year than burn the chip based off that model year. This was done because the autologic burning software needed a stock set of base tables to work with. If you have tables such as the saleen ecm does and what yours does it isn't a program that you can just burn a chip onto. At least thats what I have seen when I was there. I may be wrong but thats my opinion on it. I just meant in my last sentence that I would find someone who's been working with autologic chips for awhile and is known to be a good tuner.

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

quote:
oh and if i stay with SCT, i have to get a chip mailed to me...so either way a chip will have to be on there...whats the difference that you see?
Well being that it is their flash program I would guess that they could burn a chip for it. The case with the saleen was no one really knows whats on that program except ford and saleen.

[ March 22, 2004, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------

Autobadges Guy
¯
Member # 1657

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autobadges Guy  Ford pictures for Autobadges Guy  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well thats pretty odd, i have never heard that before and have read a lot about tuning.

The facts that the EEC has been flashed just makes the computer read the engine properly and adjust for the a/f, etc etc. The fact that autologic needed a BASE for it, shows they did not have the proper equipment to tune.

If your a tuner, you can tune any computer. From what I have read, there shouldn't be a problem with a flashed EEC. Run the car, get the a/f and all the proper readings, adjust on the chip, slap the chip on, get a test run, adjust accordingly.

All you do it hook up the computer parts to the EEC to get a base run, but you do need the code and all that crap I think.

Someone wanna jump in?

EDIT: well a saleen is different from a v6 as well LOL

A good tuner should have my computer code in there, i will make sure if it before even going, b/c I tried SoCalDiablo and they couldn't tune my car (before the SCT tune) b/c they didn't have the proper code, etc. Went to SCT and they had it and tuned it in 20 min

[ March 22, 2004, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: Autobadges Guy ]

--------------------
CUSTOM AUTO badges
www.autobadges.com
sales@autobadges.com

www.SHOWSTANG.com

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Why do you think they need the catch code off the computer box? They need it to program the chip for that specific box i.e. base tables. I'm by no means an expert on this but from my experiences this is what I have seen. Anyone else with more knowledge shoot your opinions out there

--------------------

Autobadges Guy
¯
Member # 1657

quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Why do you think they need the catch code off the computer box? They need it to program the chip for that specific box i.e. base tables. I'm by no means an expert on this but from my experiences this is what I have seen. Anyone else with more knowledge shoot your opinions out there

got a point there...that's why they need the code. I don't want to have to clear the flash on my computer incase the local tune doesn't end up working better....crap

OTHERS!!?

--------------------
CUSTOM AUTO badges
www.autobadges.com
sales@autobadges.com

www.SHOWSTANG.com

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

See thats why SCT can burn you a chip. They most likely have the program that was flashed onto your box saved in a file somewhere and can pull it up and make the changes through the chip. Good Luck!
gt40
¯
Member # 3587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gt40  Ford pictures for gt40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my son has his 96 saleen with a flashed EEC and dyno labs in san ramon put an sct chip.Is there a
sct tuner close to where you live?

--------------------
gt40

Autobadges Guy
¯
Member # 1657

quote:
Originally posted by gt40:
my son has his 96 saleen with a flashed EEC and dyno labs in san ramon put an sct chip.Is there a

did he get flashed by SCT or another place?

--------------------
CUSTOM AUTO badges
www.autobadges.com
sales@autobadges.com

www.SHOWSTANG.com

xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My friend and I have taken our Mustangs to Powertrain Dynamics. Steve is pretty awesome with tuning both pushrod and modular Mustangs and probably has more experience tuning than anyone in the area. We were both extremely satisfied with the quality of his work and he is a very friendly guy to deal with. He is very busy thus you may have to leave him a message. His number is 714-373-0068.

[ March 22, 2004, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: xchpstang ]

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

Autobadges Guy
¯
Member # 1657

quote:
Originally posted by xchpstang:
My friend and I have taken our Mustangs to Powertrain Dynamics. Steve is pretty awesome with tuning both pushrod and modular Mustangs and probably has more experience tuning than anyone in the area. We were both extremely satisfied with the quality of his work and he is a very friendly guy to deal with. He is very busy thus you may have to leave him a message. His number is 714-373-0068.

awesome great to know! I have actually gone to him for the first dyno runs that I had with my car with just the s/c and exhaust on it...hit 191rwhp LOL

He is a totally cool guy, and said if i ever wanted to get tuned he would help. I actually spoke with him today and have my appt for a dyno PULL on wed to get all the readings, from there if he can get it tuned..and says so, then HE WILL BE TUNING MY CAR [Smile]

--------------------
CUSTOM AUTO badges
www.autobadges.com
sales@autobadges.com

www.SHOWSTANG.com

xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
191 RWHP with a supercharger [Eek!] When I first went to him my car was only firing on 4 cylinders and made a whopping 130 RWHP with aftermarket heads cam, and intake. After some deep meditation on his part he got my car running right with a new chip and put out a much more respectable 277RWHP. He'll be tuning my new combination in the sig. on May 7 so I hope for much more power.

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

Autobadges Guy
¯
Member # 1657

quote:
Originally posted by xchpstang:
191 RWHP with a supercharger [Eek!] When I first went to him my car was only firing on 4 cylinders and made a whopping 130 RWHP with aftermarket heads cam, and intake. After some deep meditation on his part he got my car running right with a new chip and put out a much more respectable 277RWHP. He'll be tuning my new combination in the sig. on May 7 so I hope for much more power.

wow thats a v8 right? nice job! right now i have 263.6rwhp and 291rwtq...for a v6 thats pretty good I think [Smile]

We shall see Wednesday what he says!

--------------------
CUSTOM AUTO badges
www.autobadges.com
sales@autobadges.com

www.SHOWSTANG.com

xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Oops! Didn't realize you had a V6. In that case your numbers are very respectable. [Cool]

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

gt40
¯
Member # 3587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gt40  Ford pictures for gt40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Autobadges Guy:
quote:

NO, THE CAR WAS ALREADY FLASHED, THEN WE BROUGHT IT TO DYNO LABS AND THE SCT SUPERCHIP WAS PUT ON.

--------------------
gt40

Autobadges Guy
¯
Member # 1657

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Autobadges Guy:
quote:

NO, THE CAR WAS ALREADY FLASHED, THEN WE BROUGHT IT TO DYNO LABS AND THE SCT SUPERCHIP WAS PUT ON.
oh ok, well I am going to probably go with Steve @ Powertrain, lots of good reviews here. I like reliability over power to be honest. The car has enough power to beat a lot of cars and I don't really race it, its lots of show now...I got over that scene after blowing the engine once! [Eek!]

--------------------
CUSTOM AUTO badges
www.autobadges.com
sales@autobadges.com

www.SHOWSTANG.com

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com