Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » C&L MAS worth the ??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: C&L MAS worth the ??
Stalkerstang
¯
Member # 4208

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stalkerstang  Ford pictures for Stalkerstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Guys, I was thinking about getting a C&L mass air flow system for my car. I was wondering if it is worth the $$ (like $270.00) casue I've decided NOT TO GET THE EDELBROCK MANIFOLD. I'm just gonna stick with headers, underdrive pulleys, x-pipe, and some dynomax mufflers & a shift kit for now. I'm looking into this C&L tube. Please give me some feedback and websites that sell it for 95 stang.

[ March 21, 2004, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Stalkerstang ]

Posts: 16 | From: Belmont, Ca. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
C&L's I always see problems with. Not all of them but enough to make me not ever want to buy one

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am very happy with my 76mm (plus tru-flo intake pipe). Can't argue w/ the results.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some of them work great, some have problems from what I've seen (surging idle). The inlet tube looks great though. Make sure you match it to your injectors BTW.
$270 is hefty for a brand-new MAF.

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Stalkerstang:
Hey Guys, I was thinking about getting a C&L mass air flow system for my car. I was wondering if it is worth the $$ (like $270.00) casue I've decided NOT TO GET THE EDELBROCK MANIFOLD. I'm just gonna stick with headers, underdrive pulleys, x-pipe, and some dynomax mufflers & a shift kit for now. I'm looking into this C&L tube. Please give me some feedback and websites that sell it for 95 stang.

Go with Pro-M rick. Pay the same price for a bigger meter and not have to worry about the stupid little calibration tubes. Brother's Performance carries them. BTW which Dynomax mufflers did you go with, Bullets, Super Turbo's... [Confused]
Good luck rick [patriot] Cough! SPRAY IT Cough! Cough! [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd have to agree with FasterDamnit on this one...

Even though I'm proud of my dyno numbers with my Pro-M 75mm Bullit, I dont think I'll ever buy one again...I had to send it back tons of times for a re-calibration only for Pro-M to give up and just send me a free "Optimizer"...You can encounter lots of drivability problems with any after market MAF...I've heard C&L's had problems just as much as I've heard about Pro-M's...

JDUB07's 89LX had a WAY faster "seat of the pants" feel after his 76mm C&L with cast intake tube...

My next 5.0 Will have a stock mass air meter until the suspension is done...After that I'll be getting a C&L 76, becuase I was that impressed by JDUB07'S C&L.... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buy it! I can't say enough about how well I like my C&L. 15 min. bold on part with at LEAST 12-15hp. I felt a huge difference after the install. Only thing is you may get different results with different combos. I already had some other nice little mods before the c&l so adding that just pushed the envelope a tad.

-

Stalkerstang
¯
Member # 4208

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for Stalkerstang  Ford pictures for Stalkerstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm also thikning about getting a performance chip. I've heard good things aobut them, but I also here they can be a nuissance. R they worth the $$??
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont get a chip, waste of $ for a stock car i.m.o.... Get the mass air and get a 65mm throttle body, have you bumped your timing yet? Those three mods plus the ones you listed should get you moving pretty well [patriot]
Stalkerstang
¯
Member # 4208

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stalkerstang  Ford pictures for Stalkerstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just wanted to make sure. If I go with the 76 mm C&L MAS I have to get the 76 mm mass air flow sensor to right??
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have installed both on my coupe. I hated the 76 c/l (felt no power difference from stock mass). I installed the 75mm bullit and am very satisfied with the idle and power.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Just wanted to make sure. If I go with the 76 mm C&L MAS I have to get the 76 mm mass air flow sensor to right??

Order the 76mm MAS and Tube. The stock black sensor in your car screws right in.

BE CAREFULL OF THE PRONGS UNDER YOUR SENSOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also you can find the whole set up on ebay for less money and brand new. Just shop around for what you want. I suggest finding out info on each option of MAS before you buy. There are pro's and cons to each.

r3dn3ck
¯
Member # 3192

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for r3dn3ck  Ford pictures for r3dn3ck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't know about you all...but on my 01 and 03GT's I've gotten great results with C&L MAF and pipe.

The 01 used cal tubes but my 03 is calibrated electronically...so no tube nonsense. I never really cared about the cal tubes anyway...at least they were easy to deal with.

Follow C&L's directions regarding CAI systems and you'll have good results.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Via O'Connor

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

rick I'm home all week if you order the MAF and the tube I can show you where everything is gonna go and what you're going to need if anything [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im very happy with my 76mm cnl maf and inlet pipe

never had a problem, had it for over a year

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've used both and they both suck. Pro-M caused my car to idle rough when cold although it was stock and when I bought a C&L with my then new 30lb injectors the car wouldn't even idle. This time I'm going with a Ford 80mm MAF. My chip tuner told me that they flow similar to like size aftermarket meters but they have much more precise calibrations for better emissions and driveability while flowing enough for good power.

[ March 22, 2004, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: xchpstang ]

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Smile]

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

greekss
¯
Member # 4062

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for greekss  Ford pictures for greekss    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rick, u need to either spray it or blow it to have a chance to get close to mid-low 14s

--------------------
Slow- '00 FRC corvette- bone stock
Fast- '94 RT/10
Fastest- '02 camaro ss- bolt-ons + cam + white bottle of NX

darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One "minor" thing to remember, C & L meters are NOT even listed on the CARB website, so they are NOT legal to sell in California on daily driven vehicles. I'm going through all this crap right now. I just bought a 95 GT and am having a hell of a hard time smogging it because of all the aftermarket parts. Apparently you need E.O. stickers on all of your engine parts.

So if you buy a C & L meter and get an anal smog guy like I did, you're gonna get nailed and have to take the damn thing off.

If you guys want to check which meters are legal, here's the website:

web page

You can scan by E.O. number or manufacturer.

Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by darien87:
One "minor" thing to remember, C & L meters are NOT even listed on the CARB website, so they are NOT legal to sell in California on daily driven vehicles. I'm going through all this crap right now. I just bought a 95 GT and am having a hell of a hard time smogging it because of all the aftermarket parts. Apparently you need E.O. stickers on all of your engine parts.

So if you buy a C & L meter and get an anal smog guy like I did, you're gonna get nailed and have to take the damn thing off.

If you guys want to check which meters are legal, here's the website:

web page

You can scan by E.O. number or manufacturer.

Just hook it up to the stock air box. The cone k&n cone filter doens't make that much difference than a stock air box with k&n. I passed smog with flying colors and with c&l...but like you said there are always going to be those fuck off smog guys that will just take one look at a car and say he wont touch it.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com