Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what mods 4 302

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what mods 4 302
BOTTLED.LX
¯
Member # 3267

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTTLED.LX  Ford pictures for BOTTLED.LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just picked up a 85 gt with a 302 (carb'd)what are some good mod's to help get into the mid to low 12 all motor thanks [patriot] nothing wild just mild [Big Grin]

--------------------
SOUTHBAYSTANGS
95 STANG GTS AFR'D,CAM'D,INTAKE ON JACK STANDS
99 RANGE ROVER 22'S SPINNERS
64 IMPALA W/WET KANDY PAINT
80 CADILLAC COUPE DEVILLE

Posts: 1281 | From: E. SAN JOSE.CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
FordRacing347
¯
Member # 3948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordRacing347  Ford pictures for FordRacing347  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if the carb is stock change it to a holley demon 650cfm carb,and lower manifoled,port your stock heads,and get a monster cam....then pulleys ect.trust me. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Heart Breat Stop's Hear...("FORD RACING")

Posts: 445 | From: BayArea ,San Jose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a 600cfm carb is all you need for a good mild all motor i/h/c combo that will dip you in the 12s, 650 wouldn't hurt though [patriot]

[ March 15, 2004, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: stoauto ]

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BOTTLED.LX:
i just picked up a 85 gt with a 302 (carb'd)what are some good mod's to help get into the mid to low 12 all motor thanks [patriot] nothing wild just mild [Big Grin]

I sappose you want it to get 25mpg also and not have to spend much? [Razz] I like those 85gt's a lot, but too many things to address. If it were mine id focus on the cars safety and integrity first.. tires, brakes, chassis.
BOTTLED.LX
¯
Member # 3267

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTTLED.LX  Ford pictures for BOTTLED.LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by season'd 88:
quote:

I sappose you want it to get 25mpg also and not have to spend much? [Razz] I like those 85gt's a lot, but too many things to address. If it were mine id focus on the cars safety and integrity first.. tires, brakes, chassis.
im not really focused on brakes etc. heres wat i got plan'd changing 4 lug to 5 lug with bear brakes all around, moser axles, sub frame connecters, x2c control arms, strut tower brace,and pair of drag radails [Big Grin]

--------------------
SOUTHBAYSTANGS

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

True dual exhaust...An 8.8 with gears since you still have a 7.5 and an Edelbrock intake manifold and carb......
[patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuck all motor shit, get an intake a carb and spray it like you know you want to [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't forget a California Fords.com sticker! Thats atleast 20 rwhp right there, depending on your set up of course [Razz]

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the heads on the 85 suck balls. plain and simple. they in fact are inferior to e7's. get a cheap ass pair of e7's and remove the smog bumps (free), get a nice used dual plane manifold (under $100), a nice cam (about $100), a 650 holley ($250), off road exhaust ($125 or cheaper), headers (used about $75), 3.73 gears, you should hit the 12's pretty easily. so for about $500 bucks or so, you will be in the 12's.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

BOTTLED.LX
¯
Member # 3267

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen1:
the heads on the 85 suck balls. plain and simple. they in fact are inferior to e7's. get a cheap ass pair of e7's and remove the smog bumps (free), get a nice used dual plane manifold (under $100), a nice cam (about $100), a 650 holley ($250), off road exhaust ($125 or cheaper), headers (used about $75), 3.73 gears, you should hit the 12's pretty easily. so for about $500 bucks or so, you will be in the 12's.

what cam and intake do you recomand? [patriot]

--------------------
SOUTHBAYSTANGS

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would guess an x-cam will fit with a 1.6 rocker. hopefully someone else (93pony)will confirm that the valve will clear the piston, if it did that would be a great cam for an N/A carb motor. that fucker would scream.

as far as an intake, id bet a used performer rpm intake would be fine.

[ March 16, 2004, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Chosen1 ]

--------------------
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A "X" cam would be pushing it, not to mention needing new valve springs..as stockers are gonna give up with a .542 lift. As with any cam swap, you really need to check the clearances...before something goes kaboom. If you just got the car, you have no clue what's in that bottom end. For all you know, that's a 86 Shortblock..with no valve reliefs.
Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
For all you know, that's a 86 Shortblock..with no valve reliefs.

EXCELLENT POINT. forgot about that.

--------------------
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
8.8 rear w/4:10,slicks,skinnys
f-303 cam,gt40 irons,stock slider rockers,edel.perform rpm.
650 holley (no need for a double pumpa)
long tubes,ram clutch,and adjustable clutch cable

power shifting your way to hi mid-12's all day [patriot]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com