Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Crazy ass Air Fuel Ratio?????????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Crazy ass Air Fuel Ratio?????????
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i am using a pms to tune my twin turbo car

i have no idea about it... i have a tune in it that a guy put in, seemed to work fine, now i have changed the intake and the roller rockers, and installed a boost controller in it.... i want to get your opinions on it........

here is the tune

Year model: 1991 mustang
Engine cubic inch: 306
Power Adder/NA: twin turbo
Amount of boost/nitrous: 8 psi
Intake: gt-40
Throttle Body: 75mm
Mass Air Meter: 3.5 Univ blow thru
Intake Piping:3 inch after intercooler
Cylinder Head & rockers: 351 gt-40 heads with O-rings 1.7 roller rockers
Camshaft profile: f 303 cam
Injector Size: motorsport 42#
FMU type:none
Header size/type: 1 5/8-1 3/4
Fuel Pump(s):Aeromotive A1000
Rails: 1/2 inch
Supply/Return Line size:supply -8 return -6
Fuel type: pump gas 91 octane

IDLE Control On/Off: ON
fuel:
timing: +15*
start-up fuel: -40%
idle air adjuster: 63%
Low Load (Fuel first & Timing second)
2200rpm: 0/0
4000rpm: 0/0
6000rpm: 0/0
7800rpm: 0/0
Medium Load (Fuel first & Timing second)
2200rpm: 0/0
4000rpm: 0/0
6000rpm: 0/0
7800rpm: 0/0
High Load (Fuel first & Timing second)
2200rpm: 0/ +12*
4000rpm: 0/ +10*
6000rpm: 0/ +8*
7800rpm: 0/ +6*
WOT (Fuel first & Timing second)
2200rpm: +12% / +12*
4000rpm: +10%/ +0*
6000rpm: +8%/ +0*
7800rpm: +6%/ +0*
Boost or Tables: (Fuel first & Timing second)
Max Boost setting: 15
@1 psi
2200rpm: +0 /-7*
4000rpm: +0 /-7*
6000rpm: +0/ -7*
7800rpm: +0/ -7*
@Max Boost
2200rpm: +14% / -18*
4000rpm: +12% / -15*
6000rpm: +12% / -15*
7800rpm: +12% / -15*
Standalone On/Off: ON
Rev Limiter: 7000

all pulls were with 8 psi of boost

anyhow.. here is the A/F graph

it is using a wideband that was installed in the drivers side down pipe about 24 inches from the outlet of the turbo....

-

looks crazy!!!!!!

here is the horsepower graph.....

-

here is the torque graph.......

-

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yikes that thing runs way to lean from 2100 to 5000 rpms. I'm a little suprised they didn't wave the run off. It's fat at the very top where you would be making your peak numbers. When I worked next to the dyno ideal was an air/fuel which followed a pretty consistant path of 12.0:1 to 12.5:1 for forced induction. Your AFR is all over the map. I don't know a whole lot about PMS but I have seen people tune it well. From what I've seen with it it's about making minor adjustments and than doing a run and so on till you achieve the results.
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get on stang tuning, there are a ton of pms tuners on there

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WOT (Fuel first & Timing second)
2200rpm: +12% / +12*
4000rpm: +10%/ +0*
6000rpm: +8%/ +0*
7800rpm: +6%/ +0*

I'd start by increasing fuel from 2200 up to 5000 but remember I am no expert with this system. It's just what I would do based on other tuning methods I have seen. Make small changes and the thing that sucks is you'll be renting the dyno for at least 1-2 hours to properly do it

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

And theres the reason why you most likely lifted your head gasket. Same car right?

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What happens at 3,100rpm?...It's obvious thats when things start to happen....When do you see full boost?....

I wish I could help you more....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The circle is still my favorite part. WHat the hell was that all about [Confused]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know this is going to sound crazy but here's what I would do at this point. Contact Byron Reynolds and arrange to get a custom chip and some dyno time. You would have a really good chance at getting that screwy A/F ratio in line through the chip work and then use the PMS for fine tuning for weather conditions, fuel octane, etc. You would most likely need to set your PMS fuel settings to neutral/zero and the timing to something conservative to start with and let the custom chip do the heavy work. Just a suggestion.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would start by adding fuel in the medium throttle maps, you dont have any thing added for fuel [Eek!] If the tune sheldon did is on set 1 for instance, save al your data to set 2 and that way you can toggle back and forth to see the differences to make sure you are going in the right direction! I am still learning the PMS system myself, lots of shit you can do!!!!!!!!!!

[ March 15, 2004, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: mustanggt5091 ]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is NOT A SERIOUS PROBLEM with your AF ratio. There only appears to be a problem with your car being lean do to the fact the dyno operator is pressing the button to start recording info before you are going to WOT. As you can see in the RWHP graph you do not actually go WOT until ~3650rpm(which seems to be the case since you are only making 50hp and 75ft#'s at 3500rpm) at which point your car is running ~15:1 AF like it should be at part throttle.

You need to go WOT around 2000-2500rpm and have the dyno operator not start recording data until you are WOT.

After you go WOT the fuel curves could be flattened out with some timing of the fuel tables. The "spike" at 4500rpms is a flaw of the PMS's stand alone feature kicking in.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm also confused by the "High Load" timing settings and the -7* being pulled at 1psi boost seems odd as well.

--------------------

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by John91coupe:
I know this is going to sound crazy but here's what I would do at this point. Contact Byron Reynolds and arrange to get a custom chip and some dyno time. You would have a really good chance at getting that screwy A/F ratio in line through the chip work and then use the PMS for fine tuning for weather conditions, fuel octane, etc. You would most likely need to set your PMS fuel settings to neutral/zero and the timing to something conservative to start with and let the custom chip do the heavy work. Just a suggestion.

Like I said Rob, have Byron do a flip chip, one side for the 5 psi tune and one side for the 16 psi tune [patriot]

--------------------

-Me

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:
quote:

Like I said Rob, have Byron do a flip chip, one side for the 5 psi tune and one side for the 16 psi tune [patriot]
Do you guys really think that a autologic chip is better than a PMS? Or is it that you think the person doing the tuning is the problem?

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Either tuning method is good as long as the person knows what their doing. Most people have trouble with PMS and turn to Byron because he can make a perfect air fuel ratio across the RPM band. Take someone with a lot of experience with PMS and I think the same results can be had.

--------------------

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:
quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:
quote:

Do you guys really think that a autologic chip is better than a PMS? Or is it that you think the person doing the tuning is the problem?
Idon't think rob nor anyone he's had on the PMS knows the system well enough to tune Rob's car. I'm sure the PMS is great if you know how to use it to your advantage, but it doesn't seem like Rob does at this point so why not have Byron do a quick fix on it until Rob learn's the PMS system inside and out [patriot]

--------------------

-Me

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's up with the first graph?! That's not a function. Not a function at all!!

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have been throught the eectuner and the tweeker rt and finaly the epec. the BEST thing i ever did to figure out the systems was to buy a wide ban o2 sensor that data logged. It also logged rpm's and one 5 volt sensor. that was i could make small changes and see the AFR change. once i did that it was VERY easy to nail down the afr. just my two cents worth.

[ March 17, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
I have been throught the eectuner and the tweeker rt and finaly the epec. the BEST thing i ever did to figure out the systems was to buy a wide ban o2 sensor that data logged. It also logged rpm's and one 5 volt sensor. that was i could make small changes and see the AFR change. once i did that it was VERY easy to nail down the afr. just my two cents worth.

Thats exactly what I just did, I just purchased a LM-1 o2 sensor to aid in tuning my car with my PMS [patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com