Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4cylinder to 5.0 conversion ????'s

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 4cylinder to 5.0 conversion ????'s
Bottle Fed
¯
Member # 2686

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle Fed  Ford pictures for Bottle Fed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what exactly do you need to swap for this conversion...I know the rearend, tranny, and motor of course...the wiring I know, but what exactly besides the main harness to the engine...any detailed help or responses would be great.....

--------------------
1988 Saleen convt #522 SC
1989 Saleen #420 408 w/BOOST!
2009 M5
2000 Yamaha R1
2013 S4

Posts: 2264 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Coyoteswapfox92
¯
Member # 4057

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyoteswapfox92  Ford pictures for Coyoteswapfox92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I personally have done one of these so If you have more questions PM me and I will be more than happy to help. Well it looks like you have the main stuff down. when you do the rear end take the brake cables off the 4cyl and put it on the 8.8 rear it will save you lots of time and a little money. Also you will need to swap the fuel lines as they are on the other side of the car with a 5.0. well good lunk with your project PM me if you need help.

--------------------
1992 Coyote project under construction.

Posts: 1051 | From: Yuba City, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
as parker has said paul, i have done it myself, and got it all memorized..

the basics.... complete underhood wiring harness= main harness
02 harness
starter harness
alternator harness
then you need the complete rear brake lines, all the way from the master cylinder to the rearend
then you need the complete fuel lines all the way from the rear to the front as well.
you must also install a different gaugue cluster, the 4cylinder will not work, for the fact the rpms will be off.
you must also install a fuel pump relay, the 4cylinder uses the computer to trigger the fuel pump, where as a 5.0 uses the relay under the seat
and that is just a few of the things. let me know when you need more [patriot]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm in the process of a 4 - 8 swap and have found this webpage to be pretty good info:

http://mr5oh.tripod.com/4to8.html

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Bottle Fed
¯
Member # 2686

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle Fed  Ford pictures for Bottle Fed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for all the help guys, Rob, Parker etc.....

--------------------
2009 M5
2000 Yamaha R1
2013 S4

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
carb [Big Grin]
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't forget about upgrading the front brakes. I have a set of 5.0 calipers if you're interested

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Bottle Fed
¯
Member # 2686

ttt....

--------------------
2009 M5
2000 Yamaha R1
2013 S4

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com