Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » squeaky brakes??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: squeaky brakes??
drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
okay, i changed my brake pads about a month ago, and now they're starting to squeak even worse than before i changed them! does anyone know what i can do to fix this? thank guys [patriot]

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The squeak doesn't mean they're bad...

What is happening is the brake pad is able to vibrate and when it vibrates it makes a sqeaking noise...

Next time you buy some brake pads buy the brake pad shims as well...The shims are basically the same shape as the pad and fit inbetween the pad and the caliper...Some brake pad manufactures include shims with the pads....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
01_Blue
¯
Member # 1732

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01_Blue  Ford pictures for 01_Blue    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine squeak a lot due to brakedust. Everytime I clean them, they're good for about a week, then they start w/ the noises. Hella irritating.

[ March 06, 2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: 01_Blue ]

--------------------
2001 GT
www.badassmustangs.com

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the thing is that they've never made noise before, but now it's gettin really bad. i'm at a loss of what to do [Frown]

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you just change the pads or did you cut the rotors as well? Its always a good idea for the rotors to be turned with each pad change. This way your dealing with two machined surfaces instead of one machined and one not. What brand of parts are you using?

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Its always a good idea for the rotors to be turned with each pad change.

yes! [worship]

[ March 06, 2004, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: cobraman_1994 ]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get some heavy duty gear oil and pour some on the rotors that'll stop it from squeking.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shiftylx:
the thing is that they've never made noise before, but now it's gettin really bad. i'm at a loss of what to do [Frown]

Try buying/installing the shims I suggested... [Roll Eyes] ..I've sold hundreds of brake pads....If you never resurfaced the rotors before you installed your new pads, then that's the problem...If you did resurface the rotors, then you need better pads of pad shims like i suggested....YOu also need to grease the caliper pins for proper engagement...

IF you dont believe me then try out what FOSTANG suggests....LOL

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com