Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Check engine light Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Check engine light Question
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If im cruising in the highway at around 1500rpm my check engine light comes on but if I let go of the gas and or it drops under 1300ish it goes off.

Will this cause me to fail the new roller style smog tests?

I know I need to get a code reader hooked up, I was just hoping somoene had a easy fix.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, could cause you to fail. It could be EGR. That's right about the RPM the EGR functions.

I have a code reader if you want to use it. Let me know. It should have a stored code in there.

Give me a call if you still have my cell # or PM me.

Sean.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Coyoteswapfox92
¯
Member # 4057

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyoteswapfox92  Ford pictures for Coyoteswapfox92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah that sounds like an EGR to me too. That would be the first thing i look itno.

--------------------
1992 Coyote project under construction.

Posts: 1051 | From: Yuba City, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah I think if your check engine light comes on at all you fail [Frown]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sean90GT:
Yeah, could cause you to fail. It could be EGR. That's right about the RPM the EGR functions.

I have a code reader if you want to use it. Let me know. It should have a stored code in there.

Give me a call if you still have my cell # or PM me.

Sean.

Sean can you PM your number, are you busy this weekend?
Maybe we can try to take a look at it then.
I really want to get it smogged ASAP.

Rest of the guys thank you for the help [patriot]

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
EGR or maybe EGR Valve Position Sensor. Good luck. [patriot]

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ci$ko  Ford pictures for ci$ko    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by graylx:
EGR or maybe EGR Valve Position Sensor. Good luck. [patriot]

does it come on underload? or all the time? mine was doin that a while back i got nother egr valve and pos sensor and the egr silinoid*

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
89 lx burning up slicks at a track near you
91 bottled gt sold :/
72 chevelle

Posts: 1286 | From: valleJo .7o7. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Before I replaced the EVP, the Check Engine light would flash on and off. It seemed to flash on when I was accelerating (whether or not WOT or light acceleration). It would go off as soon as I lifted foot from pedal. I suspected it was not the EGR as it had been recently replaced. In any case, if you don't have a code scanner, get one from a friend or Autozone (pretty cheap), run the codes and that should help you out. [patriot]

BTW, the EVP is located right behind the EGR.

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1995 Impala SS

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Thanks a lot guys I passed and you guys were right it was the EGR Valve Position Sensor [patriot]

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Glad everything worked out [Smile]

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1995 Impala SS

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey, glad to hear it passed. Now it's time to yank that motor!

Did you go to the same place I went last time? What kind of intake did they ask that you had? [Big Grin]

Sean

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ya Sean thanks so much for your help.

I went to the cheapest place I could find in monterey with some non english speaking asain dude. He barely looked under the hood.

Anyways the cars in the garage tonight its resting cuse thursday that engines OUT!

You need to swing buy some times and check out our mess... err garage.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com