Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » engine shut off?!?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: engine shut off?!?
SFvert
Drama kids have no place here
Member # 3965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFvert  Ford pictures for SFvert        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know i am going to get so remarks and stuff about this question but I was jus curious what i might have been. Well I decided to have fun last nite and do a couple of doughnuts.. problem is after I swung it hard the second time, my engine just stalled and shut off. it turned on fine after just good. What could have caused it to shut off?? P.S. my car is an auto and it was in D . thanks

--------------------
R.I.P. 89 LX Sold the 90 Vert,
I bring the Amber Lamps!!!
[IMG]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/53/Epicbeardmanwin.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 3706 | From: the city by the bay | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
swangin' dounts! [Big Grin]

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackDrop50  Ford pictures for BlackDrop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Put the car in 1st its better just watch the rpms, don't let them climb too high.

Not supposed to swing donuts in D because the tranny tries to shift in motion messing it up and the rear end also. Same thing with burnouts....

Also makes for a lot more smoke in 1st

The same problem happened to me ONCE, I swung a 180 degree turn in a cul de sac and my car stalled out and shut off. Don't know what it was...

Posts: 1379 | From: 510 East Bay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Were you real low on gas?
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
SFvert
Drama kids have no place here
Member # 3965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFvert  Ford pictures for SFvert        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
actually yea I was kinda low, maybe had like 1 gallon left

--------------------
R.I.P. 89 LX Sold the 90 Vert,
I bring the Amber Lamps!!!
[IMG]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/53/Epicbeardmanwin.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 3706 | From: the city by the bay | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Blacked-out-GT
¯
Member # 2544

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacked-out-GT  Ford pictures for Blacked-out-GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:
Were you real low on gas?

Good call man! My first thoughts as well.

--------------------
-built to run

Posts: 939 | From: Vacaville by way of Texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some of the posts/questions that people put up...truly dumb.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
highofftiresmoke
¯
Member # 2159

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for highofftiresmoke  Ford pictures for highofftiresmoke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i heard that there is some kind of sensor in mustangs that causes the motor to shut off if it spins out... i had that happen to me in 2 of my fox bodies and a few of my friends... after we spun out the car dies, but runs fine right after...

my only guess as to why the cars have this is incase of a wreck and u aren un able to shut the car down .... [Confused]

--------------------
90 red lx - sold
90 white lx -sold
90 red gt - in progess and then for sale ...

Posts: 482 | From: san jose,ca | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you do realize it probably just "ran out" of gas as it sloshed from one side to the other side of the tank...right?

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by highofftiresmoke:
i heard that there is some kind of sensor in mustangs that causes the motor to shut off if it spins out...

You heard wrong [Frown]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
i heard that there is some kind of sensor in mustangs that causes the motor to shut off if it spins out...

You heard wrong [Frown]
NO he didn't....Its called the inertia switch...It's designed only to gut the engine on inpact...It's the little box with the button on it in the trunk...You have to hit the button in order to restart it...

Highoftiresmoke~If the cars spins out and the motor dies, but you can restart is right after wards, it's probably 'cause you forgot to dip the clutch... [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
quote:
quote:

You heard wrong [Frown]
NO he didn't....Its called the inertia switch...It's designed only to gut the engine on inpact...
YES......HE DID......

SPINNING OUT/DOUGHNUTS WILL "NOT" CAUSE THE SWITCH TO ENGAGE AND KILL THE FUEL TO THE MOTOR.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by castor:
swangin' dounts! [Big Grin]

swangin dounts!!!

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
highofftiresmoke
¯
Member # 2159

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for highofftiresmoke  Ford pictures for highofftiresmoke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
quote:
quote:

You heard wrong [Frown]
NO he didn't....Its called the inertia switch...It's designed only to gut the engine on inpact...It's the little box with the button on it in the trunk...You have to hit the button in order to restart it...

Highoftiresmoke~If the cars spins out and the motor dies, but you can restart is right after wards, it's probably 'cause you forgot to dip the clutch... [Wink] [Big Grin]

one of the cars i was reffering to was an auto... and the car's, either of them, just died, they didn't sputter like if it wasn't getting fuel, more like if you just turned it off with the key...

--------------------
90 red lx - sold
90 white lx -sold
90 red gt - in progess and then for sale ...

Posts: 482 | From: san jose,ca | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah my dads truck does the same thing if you dont keep the rpms up it will just die and then start back up

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its possible you don't feel it sputter cause of high engine load. I do it all the time, on left turns when the fuel tank is below 1/3 tank, (pull'n hard lateral g's), no sputter, just dies and starts right back up. Kinda freaky though. guess i need to build a fuel tank with better baffles.
Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well you kno, the best thing to do when your down to your last begotten gallon of gas is.........go SWANG some donuts [Big Grin] hahaha. My guess though is you need more horsepower to keep it going.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com