Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » batteries

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: batteries
Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hrly01Stng  Ford pictures for Hrly01Stng    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey anyone here have any good battery ideas.. i was thinking about an optima blue top marine style with 800 CCA...

--------------------
HCI blower built shortblock 285ci

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The more cold cranking amps the better....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
highofftiresmoke
¯
Member # 2159

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for highofftiresmoke  Ford pictures for highofftiresmoke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
especially in wyoming... [Smile]

--------------------
90 red lx - sold
90 white lx -sold
90 red gt - in progess and then for sale ...

Posts: 482 | From: san jose,ca | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i use the yellow top deep cycle optima. i love it. i've driven it 20 miles with a dead alternator at night with the headlights on. the lights dimmed more and more, and the car finally died in my driveway. but it being a deep cycle, it can actually be run down, and then charged back up. i was told you can only recharge a normal battery a few times.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hrly01Stng  Ford pictures for Hrly01Stng    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea.. Im really thinking about that marine blue top.. 800 cranking amps..

--------------------

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only difference between the blue top and the yellow top are the terminals. They are the same battery.
Hope that helps. [patriot]

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:
The only difference between the blue top and the yellow top are the terminals. They are the same battery.

no they are not [BS flag]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From what I've come to understand a marine battery is made to be fully charged and than fully discharged. Not what you'd want in a cars systems.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How do you think they are different? [Roll Eyes]

[ March 03, 2004, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: WIKD 281 ]

--------------------

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

4rsfed> I just called Optima and they said that the Blue top is identical the same internally as the yellow top.
Put your [BS flag] away.

Next time you try to help out please know what youre talking about [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 4RS FED:
quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:

no they are not [BS flag]
If you disagree, it would be nice if you stated, "why"....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im gonna go on a limb that they are not identical. The blue top weighs 12 lbs. more than the yellow top.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen1:
Im gonna go on a limb that they are not identical. The blue top weighs 12 lbs. more than the yellow top.

If you go to the technical section of the optima batteries> all the specs are the same> and I called Optima tech. line and they said "The batteries are the same internally." The original poster was thinking of going with an 800CCA battery> which the closest one would be the D34. There is a small diff. in weight between the D34 and the D34M because of the terminals.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/D34.pdf

http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/DthirtyfourM.pdf

Chosen1> To clarify my satement> I was referring to the D34 yellow top battery and the D34 Blue top battery. Optima does make a stronger D31 battery> with more CCA's> which is more expensive> and weighs more. Most batteries on the shelf at any store is the D34 battery. The origninal poster was looking for an 800 CCA battery> which would be the D34.

I hope that this clarifies my statements> if it doesnt> please let me know. I dont know it all about these batteries> there is always tons more to learn. [patriot] [patriot]

[ March 04, 2004, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: WIKD 281 ]

--------------------

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hrly01Stng  Ford pictures for Hrly01Stng    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone used or heard of oddesy batteries???Those seem pretty cool to..

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com