Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » fuel level gauge is slooowing on fox

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: fuel level gauge is slooowing on fox
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The fuel level gauge usually shoots right up to the correct fuel level seconds after it is started. Now it doesnt read accurately until I drive off and about a few blocks. It worked fine the night before and all before that. [Confused]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It could be the gauge, you might not have a good ground...It could be the sender in the gas tank...

You could get a buddy to watch the gauge for you while you ground it to make sure it's working properly...

If you take your gas cap off does it make a huge gasp?...Kinda like how "Darth Vador" breaths...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what would the huge gasp mean??

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by white1990stang:

Well, I was just tryin to eliminate a few things...I dont think its the problem, but if you hear the "gasp" when you pull off the gas cap it means your charcoal canister is working (creating a vacuum) and your gas cap is also holding pressure...

It could be a lot of things...The way to find out what the problem is, is by processes of elimination... [patriot]

--------------------

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just checking cause i get a nice gasp when i take mine off.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

joser90coupe
¯
Member # 2785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for joser90coupe  Ford pictures for joser90coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
quote:
Originally posted by white1990stang:

Well, I was just tryin to eliminate a few things...I dont think its the problem, but if you hear the "gasp" when you pull off the gas cap it means your charcoal canister is working (creating a vacuum) and your gas cap is also holding pressure...

It could be a lot of things...The way to find out what the problem is, is by processes of elimination... [patriot]

what would it mean if dont hear a gasp when you remove the gas cap??
Posts: 135 | From: Eastbay 510 | Registered: May 2003  |  :
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, what if it never ever did that? I know for sure because only my truck makes that hiss. So, does the fuel system need pressure for the gauge or sending unit to work correctly? [Confused]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
Originally posted by gercolla1:
Yeah, what if it never ever did that? I know for sure because only my truck makes that hiss. So, does the fuel system need pressure for the gauge or sending unit to work correctly? [Confused]

You probably have a bad gas cap...When was the last time you got a smog?...They are supposed to test the cap as part of the smog...It shouldn't make a difference to the gauge though...The gas cap works as a one way valve letting air in and not letting air out...

I still think it's the gauge or the sender...Dont buy anything until you check the gauge....

--------------------

joser90coupe
¯
Member # 2785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for joser90coupe  Ford pictures for joser90coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
quote:
Originally posted by gercolla1:

You probably have a bad gas cap...When was the last time you got a smog?...They are supposed to test the cap as part of the smog...It shouldn't make a difference to the gauge though...The gas cap works as a one way valve letting air in and not letting air out...

I still think it's the gauge or the sender...Dont buy anything until you check the gauge....

What if the gas cap is bad, would i get bad gas milage ? Because i never here the hissing sound whenever i remove the cap from my mustang (its one of those locking caps)but i do here it from my other vehicle. Should i put a stock cap back on there?
Posts: 135 | From: Eastbay 510 | Registered: May 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

NO leave it....It doesn't mean that your gas cap is necessaraly bad....

All the gas cap does is let in air to help circulate the gas fumes into the charcoal canister for smog purposes...

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com