Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Are Vortechs inspection legal?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Are Vortechs inspection legal?
BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a hard time with smogging last year. Had to swap out the dual cat H-pipe for the stock H and change out the cold air kit and MSD wires because they didn't have EO CARB numbers. I've heard that vortechs have CARB numbers but wanted to know if anyone has had any trouble passing the visual inspections? How abou the higher flow injectors needed for the vortech blower, will they pass?
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I didn't have a problem when I went to smog my car with an s-trim on it. Just make sure to set your base timing to 10* and lower your fuel pressure to around 30 if you have larger injectors.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've heard lately that a lot of places won't even smog a car with a blower on it. You'd think it would be a no brainer with the carb e.o. # right on it but I guess some shops just don't like anything that has a mod on it. I think it just depends on who you take the car to and if they have a clue.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yung Than:
I had a hard time with smogging last year. Had to swap out the dual cat H-pipe for the stock H and change out the cold air kit and MSD wires because they didn't have EO CARB numbers.

MSD SPARK PLUG WIRES????....That's rediculous [Roll Eyes] ...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
quote:
Originally posted by Yung Than:
I had a hard time with smogging last year. Had to swap out the dual cat H-pipe for the stock H and change out the cold air kit and MSD wires because they didn't have EO CARB numbers.

MSD SPARK PLUG WIRES????....That's rediculous [Roll Eyes] ...
yup thats what im thinking......just take it to an asian smog check place....i never have problems w/them. one guy said he would smog anything.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Same exact thing happened to me, said my wires weren't stock. And my msd coil was not smog legal.

[patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Plug wires? Coils? Not CARB legal? That is absolute crap! Your joking right?! Do the stock wires and coil have a CARB exemption number? That's the first question I would ask. [Roll Eyes]

You don't have to take your car to an "asian" automotive place. You have to take your car to a COMPETENT automotive place to do the smog.

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by J's KING Cobra:
......just take it to an asian smog check place....i never have problems w/them. one guy said he would smog anything.... [Roll Eyes]

Why an asian smog place, because you think they don't know what they're looking at? The local "asian" shop I go to is the most competent shop in the area. They are certified to check gross polluters. As for "smogging anything," does that mean that they will pass you regardless of your parts' legality or emission levels? You really need to take a modded car to a smog tech that knows what they are looking at.

[ February 27, 2004, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Blu50Stang ]

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

The TASM
CAFords OG
Member # 292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The TASM  Ford pictures for The TASM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by J's KING Cobra:
quote:

MSD SPARK PLUG WIRES????....That's rediculous [Roll Eyes] ... [/qb]
yup thats what im thinking......just take it to an asian smog check place....i never have problems w/them. one guy said he would smog anything.... [Roll Eyes] [/QB][/QUOTE]

I went to two Asian owned smog stations, the one that gave me a hard time about my aluminum underdrive pulleys and a pressure gauge on my fuel rail was Econo Lube in Fremont/Newark. I went there because a buddy of mine had passed with a 2-cat Bassani x-pipe and just so happens he's Asian, I'm not Asian. I went with a legit set up and still, I got turned away. I didn't want to make a big deal about it, but I guess that the way things go. [BS flag]

Posts: 558 | From: nineonesix | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com