Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fuel Cells

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fuel Cells
sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sn8k2  Ford pictures for sn8k2  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going to have mini tubs installed on my Fox and will be in need of a good fuel cell since the stock tank won't work (the back half of the car is going to basically be gutted). I looked at the Summit cataloge and there is just a very limited selection. I need one that is about 16 Gals and streetable... any ideas on where/who I can order this from?
Thanks [patriot]

[ February 19, 2004, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: sn8k ]

--------------------
Mark K

2003 Cobra | 2001 Cobra | 1989 Black Mustang GT - the Savage

Posts: 152 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.fuelsafe.net/main.html

[patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was going to suggest the 21 gallon fuel cell that Steeda sells but I think that will be too big for your set up as well. Sorry i don't have any other ideas. [Frown] On a good note, I chatted it up with Sheldon the other day and as soon as I get the cash he's going to be doing a custom 6-point roll bar for the only 87-93 Speedster around [Whoo Whooooo!] My advice would be to ask Sheldon what fuel cell to order, I'm sure he could tell you. My car will probably be there at some point that yours is. Can't wait to get these bad boys done. Good luck Mark!
Ryan [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
http://www.fuelsafe.net/main.html

[patriot]

yeah for about $1000, yeah they are badass, very safe, and cool, but again $1000

i have the summit 16 gallon cell with fuel level sender in my notch, i like it, nice piece

who is doing your mini tub, how big of a tire will you be able to stuff, and if u dont mind how much is it going to cost

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sn8k2  Ford pictures for sn8k2  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
yeah for about $1000, yeah they are badass, very safe, and cool, but again $1000

i have the summit 16 gallon cell with fuel level sender in my notch, i like it, nice piece

who is doing your mini tub, how big of a tire will you be able to stuff, and if u dont mind how much is it going to cost

They do look way cool - but a bit spendy. Their Enduros sell for about $500 - but I would have to put a sump in it and steel would be a bit heavy. Good option though - worth more looking into for sure.

As far as tire width - we're aiming for 345's with them completely tucked in nicely within the wheel wells. I'll know more specifics after the tubs are ordered, installed & do some measuring.

Sheldon at Big Boy racing will be doing the install of the mini tubs & cage. With a new 9" rear end, disc brakes, 4 link suspension & coilovers I'm looking at about $6k - maybe a little more/little less depending on a lot of variables. Personally I don't think I'm going to get away for anything under $7.5k (including the costs of the new rims, tires, and fuel cell) - you know as well as I do that estimated costs go up significanly when compromises are not an option. [Wink]

[ February 19, 2004, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: sn8k ]

--------------------
Mark K

sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

double post - my bad

[ February 19, 2004, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: sn8k ]

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is the car getting back havled, or minitubed

for 7.5k i thought that would be backhalved territory

so ur are gonna run 345 street tires on it

why do a 4 link if just running wide street tires

or do u mean stock for link [Confused]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Yeah I thought mini tubbing was very simple and cheap, now that I think it about it does sound like a back half job [Confused]

--------------------

-Me

sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

quote:

It'll be minitubbed - you can see a good article on about what it will entail here http://www.autoweldchassis.com/minitub.ivnu - this is what we are doing but going about 2" wider (15" wheel wells) so the frame is going to be notched slightly larger). It's a little less involved then back halfing the car. It will require repoisitioning on the shock towers, so coil overs & either a 4 link or ladder bars would be needed (went for the 4 link) with the new narrowed real axel.

The actual cost for just the mini tubs is going to be between $3700 & $4800 (just an estimate mind you) depending on how much parts run - the rest is for other mods that I didn't mention like a 5-lug coversion for the fronts, bead locks for the rear rims, 10pt cage, ect. Just setting up the car to run drag radials, and to be totally honest - going for the look of the big fattys out back and keeping them in the wheel wells - tires sticking out just looks ghey.

--------------------
Mark K

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

well shit the 10 point cage adds alot

i was going to do it also but decided that i wanted the car running before 2008

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

quote:
well shit the 10 point cage adds alot

[Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------

-Me

sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

quote:

I feel ya - it's always a time thing or a money thing. Even when I finally get the car over there it'll take 2 to 2 1/2 months for everything to get done - with all the other stuff Sheldon has on his plate. I'm i no hurry though - as long as it gets done right the first time. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark K

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

I can't wait to see those meats out back, you plan on changing your combo at all Mark [Confused]

--------------------

-Me

sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:
I can't wait to see those meats out back, you plan on changing your combo at all Mark [Confused]

Not immediatly Ryan... the GT came with a fresh 306 w/ all forged internals, windage tray, 1.7 rockers, ect. - built for N2O - so I'm just going to spray the shit out of it and have fun. [Big Grin] I'm still in the planning stages for the next motor... probably a 393 or 408 stroker.

Let me know when you are gonna be taking your ride to BBR and we'll hook up. [patriot]

--------------------
Mark K

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Well i ordered the tonneau cover which they shipped out friday and picked up an Ed Curtis ported Intake manifold today. Next thing on the list is taking it to Sheldon's. Probably take me about a month or so to scrape together the $1200 but I'm sure my car will be in there before yours is done. You basically have the same plan as I have. After the roll bar it's getting some weld's with ET streets for the rear to make sure I have them for June, and then some AFR heads and a swap to the X-cam and I'm going to spray the shit out of it as well, not that I already haven't [Big Grin] Hopefully I'll be able to get it tuned for the 150 shot soon [patriot]

--------------------

-Me

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com