Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Oxygen Sensor Problem w/Longtubes

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Oxygen Sensor Problem w/Longtubes
Midnight5.0
¯
Member # 597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midnight5.0  Ford pictures for Midnight5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm having idle problems on my blown 99 Cobra. One side of the motor is running way too rich, and the shop is having trouble diagnosing it. They think the wiring from the oxygen sensors to the longtubes is getting an incorrect reading because the wiring is too long. It's only happing on one side though and they've tried replacing the sensors already. Does anyone else have this issue?

--------------------
2013 White Ford Raptor S/C
2012 BMW 335i
2006 Corvette Z06 - sold
1999 White Cobra Vert - Sold

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how did you extend the wires?

[ February 13, 2004, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep as mentioned if you extend( cut/splice) the wires on the O2 side it can distrupt the O2 signal whereas if you just plug in an O2 extension harnesses there are no worries. Also you can cut and splice the wires but it must be on the harness side not the O2 side

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Midnight5.0
¯
Member # 597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midnight5.0  Ford pictures for Midnight5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They tried using the stock o2 wiring, which extended far enough, but it's a real tight fit.
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow that really surprises me. I can't believe they made the distance on long tubes with the stock stuff. I would imagine they may have pulled a wire too tight and possibly pulled one or two from the connector in doing so. I'd have them check each connector with a multimeter for the right signal. I've never seen the stock O2's and stock harness reach with long tubes without extenders or splicing.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wait, I just read the original post again. Only ONE side of the motor is running rich??? [Confused] How did you confirm this? If this is the case, check for a kinked line that connects the two fuel rails.

I assume you've pulled the codes from the EEC to confirm the O2 sensor is setting a code?

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Wait, I just read the original post again. Only ONE side of the motor is running rich??? [Confused] How did you confirm this? If this is the case, check for a kinked line that connects the two fuel rails.

I assume you've pulled the codes from the EEC to confirm the O2 sensor is setting a code?

Mean2001GT
¯
Member # 1750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mean2001GT  Ford pictures for Mean2001GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm actually working on the car, and one side is running rich still. i spliced the wire on the side that the wire was pretty tight but there was no difference. we're getting a new 02 sensor and then we'll see that happens. could there be another problem no exhaust related? like with the fuel system? could the be too much pressure?

--------------------
--Silver 2001 GT--
13.020 @ 110.46
340.2 rwhp
339.8 rwtq

Posts: 158 | From: San Ramon, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mine reach with not problems, but it douns like this is your problem. I guess every car is different [Confused]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com