Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP ENGINE SWAP

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP ENGINE SWAP
T-Top Five-o
¯
Member # 3513

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for T-Top Five-o  Ford pictures for T-Top Five-o  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HOW HARD IS IT TO CONVERT A 4CYLINDER TO A 5.0 ?

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?

WHAT PARTS ARE COMPATIBLE?

ARE 4 CYLINDER SHOCKS AND SPRINGS ARE BETTER?

IF ANYBODY HAS DONE THIS CONVERSION BEFORE PLEASE POST BACK WITH TIPS AND THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR. [patriot]

Posts: 319 | From: San Jose, Ca. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
BOTTLED.LX
¯
Member # 3267

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTTLED.LX  Ford pictures for BOTTLED.LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think to do the swap all you need is 8.8 rear end,brake booster v-8,front spindals v-8,drive shaft,motor mounts,wire hardness and computer v-8, maybe sway bar and springs might jump alot with 4 banger springs [Confused] [patriot]

--------------------
SOUTHBAYSTANGS
95 STANG GTS AFR'D,CAM'D,INTAKE ON JACK STANDS
99 RANGE ROVER 22'S SPINNERS
64 IMPALA W/WET KANDY PAINT
80 CADILLAC COUPE DEVILLE

Posts: 1281 | From: E. SAN JOSE.CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
bobbystang
¯
Member # 2747

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobbystang  Ford pictures for bobbystang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hope everything goes well for u.

--------------------
99 cobra 3569-4040

mods: bunch of little things.

Posts: 83 | From: detroit, michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
T-Top Five-o
¯
Member # 3513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for T-Top Five-o  Ford pictures for T-Top Five-o  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what about the tranny? if it's a stick is that compatible?
Posts: 319 | From: San Jose, Ca. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It'd probably be easier and cheaper to just sell the car and buy one with a 5.0 in it already. Either that, or if you're dead set on doing the swap to your own car, I'd try and find a donor car with a 5.0, and buy it if it's less than $800. That way, anything you need, you can just pull off the car, then throw the carcass away when you're done.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://mr5oh.tripod.com/4to8.html

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4rs fed has done it with twin turbos [Eek!]

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you have to swap all the brake and fuel lines over too, and you have to swap wiring harnesses.

It's pretty much a mess. [patriot]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Coyoteswapfox92
¯
Member # 4057

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyoteswapfox92  Ford pictures for Coyoteswapfox92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've done this swap before and for anyone thinking of doing it DONT. Trust me unless you have a good doner car its gonna be a pain in the ass. I paid like 4000 for all the parts i needed (i also went to 5speed from aod) the little stuff adds up. Well if you still gonna do the swap you will need wire harness w/cpu, complete motor with mounts, all new exhust, 8.8 rear end, front and rear sway bars, bigger brakes if you want to stop at the red lights!! and your gonna have to reroute the brake lines and fuel lines they on the other side when you swap from 4cyl to v8. If you still have questions let me know i'll help you out.Bye the way good luck. [patriot]

--------------------
1992 Coyote project under construction.

Posts: 1051 | From: Yuba City, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Coyoteswapfox92
¯
Member # 4057

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyoteswapfox92  Ford pictures for Coyoteswapfox92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
By the way you will need the tarnny set up as well if its already a 5speed you will be good. but if its an auto and you going with the t5 then get ready to spend another $500-800 in small parts.

--------------------
1992 Coyote project under construction.

Posts: 1051 | From: Yuba City, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
4rs fed has done it with twin turbos [Eek!]

he did a motor conversion (2.3 to 5.0), 5 speed conversion (auto to 5 speed), and a turbo conversion (no turbos to twin turbos), without a donor car and he drove the car into his garage with a 4 cylinder, and drove it out with the new setup 6 weeks later.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The ONLY time these swaps make any sense is if you have a great donor car (i.e., alot of aftermarket parts), it's totalled, and you want to save a buck. That's about it. It isn't that hard, but why go through all the effort, when V8's are so damn cheap?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i did it [Whoo Whooooo!]

and now the car does this in 3rd gear at abou 90mph [burnout]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get some decent tires and stop downshifting in the rain ...you won't break them loose. [Razz]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Get some decent tires and stop downshifting in the rain ...you won't break them loose. [Razz]

[Frown]

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Just messin' with ya Rob, don't get all butt-hurt. [Razz]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Just messin' with ya Rob, don't get all butt-hurt. [Razz]

i figured [Cool]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com