Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » over heating..........help?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: over heating..........help?
87mustang
¯
Member # 2496

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for 87mustang  Ford pictures for 87mustang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ever once and a while i drive my car and the temp. shoots UP. if i take off the radatior cap and releve the pressure, the car will be fine. And it only happends after u start it, it just wont rise when your driving? i replaced the radator. what could it be, bad head(but dosent use coolent)? bad water pump(its not leaking)?

--------------------
BEAT YA

87mustang
¯
Member # 2496

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87mustang  Ford pictures for 87mustang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its not the termostat also, i've replaced that also

--------------------
BEAT YA

87mustang
¯
Member # 2496

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87mustang  Ford pictures for 87mustang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ANY BODY????????????????????????

--------------------
BEAT YA

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
things to check...

radiator cap -make sure its holding its advertised pressure

oil- make sure there is no water in it

and did you check to see if the thermostat that you just put in is not defective? did you install it with the bell side towards the radiator?

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take out the thermostat and put it in a pot of boiling water. If it opens up, then it is working fine. And yeah, make sure its in the correct way!

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
87mustang
¯
Member # 2496

i put it in the right way and i have replaced iy more then once so i know its not that......how would i check the caps adhsive presser? and The oil is fine/ what would happen if i took out the termostat? how would the car run?

--------------------
BEAT YA

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check that the radiator cap is the right one . also just because your water pump isn't leaking doesn't mean it's not bad. I just went through those problems with my car. The person before me had the wrong lb cap on the radiator. After that it was better but temperature would still go up sometimes. I bought the edelbrock aluminum water pump and NO MORE OVERHEATING. oh yeah my water pump didn't leak either but it was bad. Good luck
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pump was the culprit on my 87. Was seeing the temperature slowwwwwwwwwly go up after it was driven hard or driven for over an hour. Checked everything(thermo, water pump leaks, radiator) and just swapped in an OEM pump and it went away.

--------------------
87 5.0 LX: Exploded
94 Cobra: Totalled
94 GT Vert: Rear ended
98 Charged GT: Sold
65-67 2+2 Fastback: Someday...

Posts: 704 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
87mustang
¯
Member # 2496

if the water pump was bad wouldnt do it all the time? this doest like once a mounth......and why would it go away after i take the cap off?

--------------------
BEAT YA

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com