Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » altenator

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: altenator
eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eighty8mclaren  Ford pictures for eighty8mclaren    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have some march pullys and a stereo system I want to install, and I already have poor power. just with the cdplayer head unit on it makes my lights dim. so I am afraid to put on the pullys without putting on a higher amp alt. what should I get, 130,140,150??
Posts: 100 | From: los angeles | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
at least 130 and do NOT replace the pulley on the alternator. That is all.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eighty8mclaren  Ford pictures for eighty8mclaren    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why not replace the pully on the altenator, the march kit came with the alternator pully
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Then the real benifits of having a high amp alternator would be useless.

"power"pulleys imo opinion just cause more problems than they solve.

Some people experience cooling problems also. [Frown]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.racesystems.com has a great artical on upgrading your alternator. Install the *smallest* alternator pulley you have. This will give you the most charge at idle.
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take the power robbing radio out, put the pullies on and just listen to the horsepower. It's all you really need [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Take the power robbing radio out, put the pullies on and just listen to the horsepower. It's all you really need [patriot]

Damn Straight!

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:

haha i was gonna say that also but you beat me to it. Listen to music in the quiet car.
Bottle Fed
¯
Member # 2686

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle Fed  Ford pictures for Bottle Fed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AMEN to all those comments..I HATE power pullies so much, I gave them away...On my setup, I have only the crank and alt. and they work fine with a "custom set" of billet pullies from MARCH, not power pullies...my water pump before on my 351 always ran hot on the streets and shot up to 210 in a matter of minutes with lite traffic...beware!!!!!!!

--------------------
1988 Saleen convt #522 SC
1989 Saleen #420 408 w/BOOST!
2009 M5
2000 Yamaha R1
2013 S4

Posts: 2264 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

they arnt the power pullies, they are the underdrive pullies. but I was worried if I put them on will that cause more power problems than I have. I just wanted to know what alternator to go with. thats all. 130, 140, 150?
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by eighty8mclaren:
they arnt the power pullies, they are the underdrive pullies. but I was worried if I put them on will that cause more power problems than I have. I just wanted to know what alternator to go with. thats all. 130, 140, 150?

Yeah, after i installed the MAC pullies on my alternator.. My Alternator / Voltage Guage stayed low on idle but went up faster when revved..

I took it out TEMP for now till i get my hands on 140amp or 130 amps...

David

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I just wanted to know what alternator to go with. thats all. 130, 140, 150?

get a powermaster 1 wire 140 amp alternator [burnout]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 4RS FED:
quote:
I just wanted to know what alternator to go with. thats all. 130, 140, 150?

get a powermaster 1 wire 140 amp alternator [burnout]
I have this but my regulator on it went bad i need to get it rebuilt anyone know of a place i can take it in the east bay?
Also i want to put a smaller pulley on it, is that possible?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

BlueLightning302
¯
Member # 3974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueLightning302  Ford pictures for BlueLightning302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know theres a good place in saratoga that put in a new regulator when mine went out on my powermaster. it was something like $30-40 i think. they did it the same day i brought it in too.
eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

so are you guys saying the powermaster is bad? if the regulator is going to go out on me why would I want that brand?
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Powermaster is good man, mine 140 amp gives me lots of power, just use the crank pully and water pump pully, the alternator pullie is never a good idea. If you're putting in subs and amps you will definately need a cap and you'll probably want to go with an optima battery as well. Good luck [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my powermaster just took a shit. it lasted through 2 and a half motors and about 5 years.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com