Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cant pass smog because of "CHECK ENGINE" light

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cant pass smog because of "CHECK ENGINE" light
HYPERSVT
¯
Member # 1707

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HYPERSVT  Ford pictures for HYPERSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have been tinkering with my car for like two months trying to get rid of this light.
I drive for like 10 min on the dot and the "check engine" light comes on. I can turn the car off for a few minutes and that seems to reset it and buys me another 10 minutes. Unfortunatly the smog guys wont go for that....

Does anyone have a code reader so I can eliminate it at the source.

Does anyone have a SMOG FRIENDLY shop that they could set me up with for a nominal fee no questions asked.....

Thanks in advance

--------------------
Lincoln LS V8
2004 CRF 230

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the egr. But without a code scanner you won't know for sure.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You don't need a scanner to pull codes on your car.
All you need is a short piece of wire or a paperclip! LOL

Call me & I'll explain.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would say it has something to do with o2 sensors. my friends car used to do that and thats what fixed it. for the pulling codes first find your eec tester which is located on the rear of the strut tower. un plug both connectors from the caseing. run a wire from the grey plug to the black plug and start the car. it will flash your check engine light. how ever many times it flashes with be your code #.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Un-plug the light.

--------------------
Its over Johnny-

Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would probly un-plug the light as long as it will pass with what ever the reason its troughing a code for.

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
HYPERSVT
¯
Member # 1707

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HYPERSVT  Ford pictures for HYPERSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I actually had to replace the "Check Engine" light because thats one of the reasons that it failed the first time. It has to come on and go off when you start the car.

Tell me more about this paper clip, wire idea. Say I figure out which holes to arc..... What do I use to cross reference how many times the "CE" light flashes????

--------------------
Lincoln LS V8
2004 CRF 230

85GT
¯
Member # 1695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85GT  Ford pictures for 85GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just go buy a code reader. or stop by the auto lab at your local JC. they will have one. and can tell you what it means.
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try www.z28.com, i'm sure theres a FAQ section that covers reading codes. They will also be able to tell u which wires to jump on your diagnostic connector(on the right side of the drivers side footwell). Like 85GT said dropping by a local JC's auto shop might be a good idea too.

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds just like how bum O2 sensors would act [burnout]
mickeysf150
Member # 4106

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mickeysf150  Ford pictures for mickeysf150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you have a differnt set of pipes it could be your sensor
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unplug the bulb or put a piece of black tape over it [Wink]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

kwikrob
¯
Member # 835

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kwikrob  Ford pictures for kwikrob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
don't disconnect it because that is one thing they check. when he turns the key, you will fail the test if it doesn't come on.

--------------------
Slowest car on this board!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com