Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » computer question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: computer question
XR1stang
¯
Member # 2248

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for XR1stang  Ford pictures for XR1stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is a kind of silly question I'm sure, but I don't know the answer to it.

I have an after market chip (from Apex) and I'm needing to pull some codes from my computer. Is the chip going to interfer with those codes? I'm leaning towards that it won't, but I need to be sure because I have to do this tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks in advance guys.

--------------------
I used to hate computers until the server went down on me...

Posts: 342 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The chip will give a code 15: EEC ROM checmsum error. It's not an error, it just means you have a chip installed.
If the EGR and other smog emissions were turned off in the chip, you won't get those codes either.

XR1stang
¯
Member # 2248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for XR1stang  Ford pictures for XR1stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cool, thanks. I do have the EGR turned off, but that's the only thing disabled at the moment.

Anyway, the car started acting REAL bad last night... almost like it has bad gas, or isn't getting enough fuel. It also is acting like it has a stopped up catalytic converter, but I don't have any of those so that can't be it. I checked the pipes, and listened for any exhaust leaks (don't think that's it) and I decided before I get too much further in to it that it would be a good idea to pull any codes the computer can tell me.

I'll post back what I find later, and thanks for the response.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The chip could have partially sliped out or the contacts coroded as well.
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey I am in the east bay also so if you need me to check it out let me know.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
XR1stang
¯
Member # 2248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for XR1stang  Ford pictures for XR1stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok did some testing today (a day late, got sidetracked by the girlfriend yesterday) and it shows two codes in the KOEO self-test mode.

First error that I got was a:

511 - ROM test failure (I'm guessing this is what st5150 said I would see as I didn't see a 15 error)

Second error was found in continuous memory:

556 - Fuel pump relay primary circuit fault

I'm guessing that one would create the issues that I'm currently seeing. The car seems to run fine at idle, although I have had problems getting it to start up. If I try to gun it, or if I get over about 3k rpm then I get what feels like a real bad misfire, a shimmy, and what feels like a bad backfire happening somewhere around the header to x-pipe connection. I don't hear the loud pop for a backfire that I would normally associate with it, but I do get the feeling in the floorboard of it happening.

So, I guess I'm off to mess around with the fuel pump relay some... yay, nothing like working in the cold and rain with no cover over your head huh? [Smile]

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Sorry, didn't know you had a newer EEC that gives 3 digit codes.

The fuel pump circuit error is BS. It is considered a 'phantom' code if your car starts/fuel pump primes every time you twist the ignition key [burnout]

I'd check the basics like burnt spark plug wires, chip slipped out, vacuum leak, etc.

XR1stang
¯
Member # 2248

I checked the plug wires and they look fine, although I do have a bit of an issue on occasion with the #3 and #7 wires coming off of the plugs... but that's a side issue and not one that I think is related to this problem.

I did not pull the plugs though, because just getting to the #1, #2 and #8 plugs is just about impossible with my big ass hands unless I want to spend several hours in the rain (which I don't at this point). So I don't know if the plugs are fouled or not. I hate how tight the sn95's are. [Frown]

I did notice oil around both of the head gaskets while I was checking the wires, but there was no mixture in the oil itself when I checked it.

Oh and I checked the chip and it seems to be seated fine. I also checked the connectors and they do not seem corroded.

[ February 01, 2004, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: XR1stang ]

--------------------

XR1stang
¯
Member # 2248

ok, something new to report.

The roommate and I decided to take the car for a spin, so someone else would see/hear what it is that I have experienced.

On initial start up things seem fine. Idle is great, even driving down the road seems fine. I lay in to it and take it up to redline to see how it acts and it's great. About 10 seconds later, once it makes it out of the closed loop, it starts running like shit again. It's almost like it starts missing on a few cylinders. It shakes, it sounds like shit and performs even worse. The higher the RPM the worse it is. So whatever is happening is after the car has gone through it's intial warm up phase, which explains why I was able to get to the grocery store last night before things started acting up. It really does sound like it's starving for fuel, as I have been in cars that have run out of gas before... it's acting the same way those did.

I'm going to let it sit and cool for a bit and I'm going to test that theory again later today.

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Does it act up at both WOT and part throttle?

The oil is probably a leaky valve cover gasket.

XR1stang
¯
Member # 2248

yah, it happens through the whole RPM range once the car is warmed up. If the car is cold/cool it runs just fine...

I figured as much from the oil, it's just funny that it's on both heads like that.

XR1stang
¯
Member # 2248

well since it looks like it's going to be a clear weekend I'm going to slate some time to pull the plugs. I really hate how tight the sn95's are under the hood, and my big ass hands just don't help the matter much so it's going to be time consuming to say the least.

I plan on doing new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. If that doesn't fix it, I'll start looking at fuel related stuff like the pump, relays, etc. While I'm at it, once I get things fixed I may finally drop the 6AL in [Smile]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com