Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need Help & Fast with Dead Bat or Bad Alternator!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Help & Fast with Dead Bat or Bad Alternator!
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay about a week ago my car wouldn't start so I bought a new battary since mine was over 4 years old. Tonight I put it in and the car fired right up. Then after about 10 min. of idle I took the posotive bat. cable off...car died instantly. Doesn't this mean the Alternator is bad?!?! and that the car was only running on the battary? If so I NEED AN ALTERNATOR BAD! Before Saturday morning!!! CAN ANYONE HELP ME?! 87-93 lx 5.0
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That isn't the BEST way to see if your alternator is junk but YES you need a new one bro. I remember way back when I had my '87 I did the same test and my car stayed running; so I needed a new battery and that was it. Come to find out later that removing the + cable while the car is running is NOT a good idea. Oh well. LIVE AND LEARN!!

Get a 3G or the black 140 powermaster [patriot]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Quick 88LX:
That isn't the BEST way to see if your alternator is junk but YES you need a new one bro. I remember way back when I had my '87 I did the same test and my car stayed running; so I needed a new battery and that was it. Come to find out later that removing the + cable while the car is running is NOT a good idea. Oh well. LIVE AND LEARN!!

why isn't it good to pull the + cable off while running? would it be different if I had pulled the - cable off? [Confused]
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Quick 88LX:

You mean a chrome 140 amp Powermaster [Wink]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

[Frown] help

what if I had taken off the - cable instead of the + cable? are the chances of the car still running better when doing it that way or should I get the same result either way?

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its nOT good to pull of either cable, and when doing this test you are supposed to pull off the negative terminal. In the OLD DAYS this was alright do to the fact of cars not bieng computer controled but it is not recomended on newer vehicles. There are many other ways to test your alternator than this. You can check it various ways with a voltmeter by testing voltages and also by testing the diodes inside the alternator. If you cant do this why not go to kragen and let them test it for you for free. Sounds like a better option than frying a computer.

[ January 30, 2004, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Camara90 ]

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

will do. going to kragen after work!
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AutoZone is cheaper than Kragens [Wink]
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, same thing with me.. My 3 month old battery died on my without warranty!!!!! So i took it back to the same shop where i got the battery from and tested it on the voltage meter.. It said the battery was average but alernator was readin somewhere in the 11.90s as in the voltage.

But thought the car would be good.. I take it to sacramento the same night driving around @ night the voltage guage was around 8-10volts on the guage on freeway driving.. Parked the car and it wouldnt start.. So i jump started the car and drove it to Kragens and bought the red Optima Cell Battery and its been running OK but i need an alternator bad too...

Im gonna order one soon if anyone doesnt have one [patriot]

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you get a parts store alternator, make sure you get the life time warranty one. I've had to replace mine 2-3 times already.
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

kinda in vain but I'm happy for my wallet. Turns out Camero90 was right. Turns out when I pulled the battery cable off while the car running it dicked with the computer some how,..Black945.0 suggested driving on it for about 50 miles are whatever and let the computer try and fix itself. WORKED,...car is running like the day I bought it

Thanks for the advice! Saved me some $$$$$ [worship]

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
JDUB07~Come over when you get a chance, I bought a new Craftman Multimeter [Big Grin] ...We can check your alternator output, and the TPS on the way to fill up your bottle... [Wink] [Big Grin] ...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
JDUB07~Come over when you get a chance, I bought a new Craftman Multimeter [Big Grin] ...We can check your alternator output, and the TPS on the way to fill up your bottle... [Wink] [Big Grin] ...

I know I know it's been like 3 months or more and I still have yet to fill the bottle. LAME! Did you get the meter at the shop in Newark?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check P.M.'s

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com