Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 331 Stroker now in shipment... any suggestions? Who else has one?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 331 Stroker now in shipment... any suggestions? Who else has one?
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, just got compression back, and #5 and #6 are at about 75... crap.

So basically, I need to get this taken care of asap. I cannot do the work myself, so I am looking for someone to

A) Sell me a 302 block AND install it.
B) Someone to sell me a block and someone else make offers on installing.
C) Someone that can rebuild the current block.. you give me the parts list, and I will buy everything, you put it together.

Whoever can do either one of these 3 things the fastest, cheapest, and best quality, please email me at matsui56@earthlink.net, respond to this thread, or send me a PM.

Any help is welcomed, I need to get this taken care of immediately, as this is my daily driver.

[ January 30, 2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: 94Blackout ]

--------------------
87 5.0 LX: Exploded
94 Cobra: Totalled
94 GT Vert: Rear ended
98 Charged GT: Sold
65-67 2+2 Fastback: Someday...

Posts: 704 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
NORCAL281
¯
Member # 3754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NORCAL281  Ford pictures for NORCAL281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
some guy is selling a 306 with forged internals at the stallions website! he is asking 500 obo. check it out!!! jon
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you sure you didn't just blow a Head Gasket between the #5 &6 cylinders?

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
GT40-P heads, E-303 Cam, 1.72 Cobra Rockers
or misinstall those pedestal rockers? too tight could cause this (valve lifts off the seat and bleeds compression on cam base circle)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Are you sure you didn't just blow a Head Gasket between the #5 &6 cylinders?

Sorry, that was supposed to be 5&8.

And all the parts on the car have been on for well over a year now... I'm pretty sure the rings are farked.

--------------------

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Would a 302 stroke kit be ok? What else would be involved with this?

Ebay 302/347 stroker

--------------------

BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The stroker kit might work, but I hear they don't last as long as a 302/306. You might have more durability with a 331 kit. You also need to have the stock block honed, zero decked, and balanced, and I think a girdle might be needed as well? [Confused]
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

quote:
Originally posted by Yung Than:
The stroker kit might work, but I hear they don't last as long as a 302/306. You might have more durability with a 331 kit. You also need to have the stock block honed, zero decked, and balanced, and I think a girdle might be needed as well? [Confused]

Thanks, I did a little more reading up and noticed that. Looks like its off on a search for a 331 kit. The 347 requires clearance, and a reinforced girdle. Son of a..... maybe I'll just jump on some heads instead. Anyone have recommendations on 331 stroker kits?

--------------------

BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
But you're sure the problem is in the block and not in the heads or blown gasket? Burnt valve maybe?
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

quote:
Originally posted by Yung Than:
But you're sure the problem is in the block and not in the heads or blown gasket? Burnt valve maybe?

The Ford shop I go to have always been pretty honest with me. They ran the leakdown and compression test, and thats what they came up with. And with the crazy amount of blowby I was havin (spitting out the dipstick), I'm not too surprised.

Found a 331 stroker for the same price http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33620&item=2457228320

--------------------

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Well, got the kit on order.... 331 stroker

HAWKS RACING 331 3.25"" STROKE NODULAR IRON CRANKSHAFT WITH STD/STD SB FORD JOURNAL SIZES

331 5.400" CNC PROFILED LIGHTWEIGHT FORGED I-BEAM RODS WITH ARP WAVE-LOC BOLTS (BUSHED)

KEITH BLACK .030 10cc DISH TOP, PIN FIT PISTONS
28oz Damper and Billet Flywheel

And all the minor goodies.

Any suggestions? I called DSS, they said I DEFINATELY need one of their main support girdles. Is this true?

--------------------

NORCAL281
¯
Member # 3754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NORCAL281  Ford pictures for NORCAL281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sickkk congrats on the new motor!!!
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you get what you pay for [Big Grin]

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:

this is true to a certain extent. my rotating assembly are all scat parts (crank and rods), and pistons are from probe. i talked to both companies at length about the parts listed in the estimate the engine company gave me. Scat highly recommended the place and so did probe.

The actual short block was dirt cheap, so basically the were only charging me a couple hundred bucks for the block, bearings, machining, and assembly. Too good to be true I asked? They were very cool to me in that I received the shortblock with a sheet consisting of ring gap specs, tolerances etc, etc for my motor.

In the end, I was pretty happy, it held oil pressure, took it to 7500 and no problems.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:

I know I could have spent a few more hundred bucks and got a forged crank and H-Beam rods, but I figured that on my DD that this setup should hold up nicely.

For a mild application, I think what I have is more than adequate.

--------------------

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94Blackout:

Any suggestions? I called DSS, they said I DEFINATELY need one of their main support girdles. Is this true?

if it is iron then go for it. it probably wont do to much other then keeping all your internals together when your block splits in half, but i would want that.

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

[/QUOTE]if it is iron then go for it. it probably wont do to much other then keeping all your internals together when your block splits in half, but i would want that. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Is everyone working on the assumption that my engine is going to explode or what?

--------------------

ray95
¯
Member # 752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray95  Ford pictures for ray95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
as long as you don't add a power adder or try and get to much HP you'll be fine. make sure you have the motor built at a reputable shop. take care of the engine and it should last you a long time.

now if you plan on making a lot of power and racing the car then this wasn't a good choice of internals.

just my .02

Posts: 895 | From: The Bay Area | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94Blackout:
Is everyone working on the assumption that my engine is going to explode or what?

lol
no, not yet.

[ January 30, 2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: cobraman_1994 ]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com